Anyone have issues with their Spleen after surgery?

Alklein12
on 7/6/15 2:04 pm - Beverly, MA

I was wondering if anyone was experiencing what I am going through because I kinda want to know that I am not alone.  Basically ever since I had my gastric sleeve in April I have been having very low blood pressure. I went to have a follow up with my primary doctor and she was concerned took some blood work and wanted me to come back in a week.  When I did my blood pressure was 76/58 and they wheeled me right over the ER (starting my bad experience at the hospital) after about 7 hours there I finally got a cat scan done where it showed fluid in my spleen and my liver.  Basically, after a very horrible experience (I had to be transferred to the hospital where I had my surgery where I was for three days total and put thru a lot of tests to make sure my surgery went well and stomach is A-OK) During my gastric sleeve surgery, I guess they were switching the blood vessels with the spleen and sometimes it is not un-common to accidently cut a piece of the spleen, and in my case a small piece on the upper right of my spleen was damaged - and the blood vessels have "died"  It explains the huge amount of pain I have been in under my left boob.  But I don't get is why they couldn't tell me in the hospital why this is connected to my low blood pressure? why I had to wait to see my primary again later that week when she called my surgeon again...so tomorrow I go in for a Cort-stem test in order to test my adrenal glad and depending on the results of that test, I am probably going to see a cardio doctor after that.  But then....what happens with my spleen? I was told it will go away on its own...Just curious...anyone out there with any weight loss surgery have an issue like this?

VSG 4/23/15  GOAL 130LBS

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/6/15 2:45 pm - OH

Wow, sorry to hear about this.  I don't know anyone who had an issue with their spleen, but I have known of two people whose surgeon nicked their liver during surgery and that caused all sorts of problems.  

The low blood pressure is likely because of the amount of blood (the "fluid" they mentioned is likely blood, but "fluid" sounds less scary to most patients) lost into your abdominal cavity because of the damage to the spleen.

Are they saying that potential problems with your adrenal gland and heart may be related to the spleen injury, or are those just things they found during the bloodwork your PCP did?

I sure hope you get it all straightened out quickly.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Grim_Traveller
on 7/6/15 3:15 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm sorry for all the problems you've had. Low blood pressure is pretty common with post-ops, even without all the other issues you've got. I hope you get fixed up soon.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

crystal M.
on 7/6/15 6:31 pm - Joliet, IL

I am 6 1/2 years post op and have issues with low blood pressure.  So I know mine is not surgery related.  Mine is also not as low as yours.  On my last doctor appt it was 87/68.  He ordered blood tests.   

I think it's kind of odd before I lost weight I had to take medicine for high blood pressure...my how times have changed. 

Hope you feel better really soon

Alklein12
on 7/7/15 9:04 am - Beverly, MA

Thank you for the replies. I took a Cort Stem test this morning. BP was 76/58. Crazy!  Once the results come back they want me to see a cardiologist most definitely. Right now they think it's related to the spleen.  All I know that if it's the adrenal gland not working it's not good. Praying that test comes out good. 

VSG 4/23/15  GOAL 130LBS

Most Active