Huge Regain. Seeking Help.

Greta D.
on 8/1/15 7:37 pm

Hi, everyone.  

New poster with a huge regain problem.  I am seeking your help.  

I had VSG in 2010 and lost about 170 pounds within 15 months.  I regained about 15 pounds from the lowest point and maintained for the next year.  I ran 8 half marathons and several smaller races in 2011-13.  I can recall a trip I took in which I allowed myself to eat half a bagel….an old trigger food.  This was near my lowest point in weight.  That seemed to open the door to eating many other foods that were not in my diet while losing.  Weight slowly crept on and my exercise became much less intense and frequent. I never really felt uncomfortable or out of control or recognized I had some head issues.   It seemed like each year, I would put on 20.  I had a huge job change, a move and just quite frankly reverted into old patterns.  

My food choices have been simple carbs and I find that I tend to graze.  Definitely have not followed rules.  

A couple months ago, I have found some behavioral and emotional supports.  I feel good about myself and in the desire to regain control over my health.  Yet, I find myself at my lowest point today.  I stepped on the scale and was horrified to see how much I have gained.  Shamed, actually.  

My question is what now?  What should my approach be at this point?  

I have not honestly had a lot of dense protein, so I am not sure if I still feel a restriction.  But I was thinking of taking the route of the 5 day pouch test just to get on liquids and then progress to see how the restriction holds and to also break myself of larger portions.  But then, how do you suggest I eat?  Do I follow the original rules verses total calories?  I am perplexed how to attack this on a nutritional front given I am 5 years out and I do want to maintain an active lifestyle.  I guess I don’t want to give up one form of disordered eating for another.  While losing, I maintained more carbs in my diet that the rules stated mostly to fuel my body for running.  

So to anyone that has regained or those that have been masters at maintaining, I would love your thoughts.  

I have beat myself up plenty, so save the shame based approach….but anyone with some positive suggestions moving forward would be much appreciated.  

Thanks in advance!

Greta

2010 - VSG  Lost A LOT
2015 - regained about 70% back
Time to get my shit together!  

White Dove
on 8/2/15 3:44 am - Warren, OH

I follow If It Fits Your Macros 

Cannot post the link from this device but it is IIFYM.com

This will let you come up with the macros (calories, carbs, fiber, protein counts) for your weight loss goals and exercise needs.

Once you have your macros then you can program them into My Fitness Pal.  Track everything you eat and track your weight daily.

If you are not losing then you need to eat less calories, but IIFYM is very accurate.  With this approach you can eat the bagel or anything that fits your macros for the day.  In other words you must have the carbs still left in your plan for that day.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Laura in Texas
on 8/2/15 5:32 am

First and foremost, you have to forgive yourself so you can move on from here. Track every bite. Weigh/measure your portions. Make healthy choices 90% of the time. Get at least 10000 steps a day (I love my fitbit). No more excuses. If you slip up, get right back on track. Yes you can do this but recognize it will be hard work and then do it. Good luck!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Kathy S.
on 8/2/15 3:03 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

You have already taken the hardest step by saying enough is enough and now I want to get back on track.  Here are some steps I hope will help you. They helped me...  Also, be sure and join the Back On Track Together group link in my signature area.  

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery?  How many meetings, classes and such did we attend?  We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success.  And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods.  Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies and fruits.  

Journaling

Get back to journaling.  This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life.  Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating.  It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband.  It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food.  Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker

Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself.  Make them realistic and small.  Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat, fiber, calories, and sugar. Important vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan)

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea?  I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass.  So I was either pushing to be diabetic or get cancer.  I found once I started carrying a bottle of water around 24/7 (yes had one at my bedside) I lost the cravings for the sugar and I KNOW those artificial sweeteners are not good for me. Look I am old and if you add up all the artificial sweeteners I have consumed I am sure I am at the rat in the lab getting cancer threshold

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what I kept moving.  If I could not go to the gym I would walk. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lift weights. When I stopped, the weight came on.  So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV.  Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group.

Keep me posted on how you are doing

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

E_Saenz
on 8/3/15 4:29 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

Apparently you have made the first step towards regaining control.  I would call my surgeon's office and see the nutritionist and what ever else they think you should see.  They have the experience to treat you and advise you back to success!

Elia Maria Saenz

Most Active