WLS and psych meds

(deactivated member)
on 8/23/15 6:54 pm

I am about a month out on surgery pending insurance approval. I suffer from depression and anxiety and take meds for these. The day's immediately following surgery what do they do concerning this?? Do they stop the psych meds??

meanjelly
on 8/23/15 7:49 pm

I took them in the hospital.  just space them out so you do not take them all at once

RNY 6/26/15       HW360      SW290      GW200

jamrodriguez
on 8/23/15 7:55 pm

I got my doctor to prescribe me a liquid solution of my meds. I took it to the hospital with me.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/23/15 8:06 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I was on 4 meds for bipolar when I had surgery. I was able to take them as normal, but I had to cut the larger ones up into smaller pieces. I swallowed each pill/piece separately with a sip of water, and it took a while to get everything down, but I had no trouble getting them all eventually.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/23/15 11:04 pm, edited 8/23/15 11:05 pm - OH

No, they will NOT sto the psych meds, because doing so would be dangerous in some cases (withdrawal symptoms can be extreme). 

Depending on what you are taking, though, if you are having RNY or DS, you may need to consider a liquid form or different meds (especially if you are taking extended release versions) for post-op moving forward.  Some psych meds don't get absorbed very well post-op.  You really need to discuss this with your Psychiatrist and your surgeon well before surgery.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

pammiv
on 8/24/15 9:29 am

If this question is not TMI - can I ask what meds you are taking?  I have anxiety/depression and my doctor and therapist suggested Lexipro - just wanted to see what others have experienced. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/25/15 9:55 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I've been on Lexapro for several years now, it's been extremely helpful. I've tried a BUNCH of different SSRI's, and it's one of the few that didn't contribute to major weight gain, and it doesn't make me hypomanic or trigger my anxiety.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

gerinurse1375
on 8/24/15 2:29 pm

I can say I have taken cymbalta for many, many years d/t some situational things that happened back in 2005 and was unable to get off of it d/t SSRI side effects. Have tried multiple times.  When I had my surgery they would not give me the medication, I even had a discussion with the Resident about it.  I was able to stop and be off of it permanently.  The only meds I was allowed the following day was thyroid med.  It amazes me how often they go over your med lists prior to surgery yet it is a moot point (and Im a nurse!! lol).  I now take only 2 meds a day and it's been a blessing!

pammiv
on 8/25/15 9:40 am

Thank you for sharing!  

RNY December 17, 2014 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

(deactivated member)
on 8/25/15 9:19 am, edited 8/25/15 9:21 am

Thanks for all your input!! Talked with my psychiatrist and pharmacist today and it seems that the only problem is going to be cymbalta since it's a capsule and dissolves differently from tablets. Guess I need to go back and talk to psych about a different ssri. Thank you again. 

Most Active