Needing WLS Friends

kbennett2013
on 10/23/15 11:32 am

Hi All,

Just feeling a little blue today. I've been struggling with my plan. Meeting my protein needs and my family doesn't support my decision. Every time I have a problem they blame it on this "poor" decision I did. I am not perfect. Some days I don't eat. Some days I don't get all my water in. I try. I'm not perfect. I eat things I shouldn't sometimes, and I regret them (physically and mentally). Just feeling down today. I thought that after I had surgery that it would be easy for me to meet the goals and requirements. :( Any body else feel like a WLS failure?

VSG 7/27/2015

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/23/15 12:28 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I have days when I'm better than others, but I do not ever feel like a failure. There's no point in beating yourself up. Getting in your water and protein is important. You could develop other issues if you don't.

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and remember that you're so much better off than before you had surgery. Don't you feel better? Do your clothes fit better?

It's difficult for people who haven't had this surgery to understand what we go through. You might considering going to a local support group through your surgeon's office. If they don't have one, Overeaters Anonymous is another option. And therapy might benefit you as well.

Don't let yourself go into a downward spiral of depression. It's one of the things that can sabotage our weight loss. Address any underlying issues you may have because, trust me, they do not go away just because you've had WLS. We need an inordinate amount of work on our heads, not just our bodies.

There is no end game after WLS. It's an ongoing process that never ends. Surgery makes it easier to eat less, but we can fail if we choose to eat the wrong foods. You know what you need to do. Love yourself enough to take control of your life and your health. You can do it

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

peachpie
on 10/23/15 12:33 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Well of course it'll be hard to frame your mind for success when those around you aren't encouraging you! If you are talking to the naysayers about the challenges, ups/down etc then stop. They will only hear the side of it that promotes their view of the surgery. Try and connect with people who understand the journey (like this board!)

You're not a failure, you are human. And part of being human is learning from mistakes and moving on. Get out of the house what you are isn't part of the plan. Or if what you need is a splurge day/meal, plan around it and work towards it.

No one is perfect, but we can all work hard to be where we want to be.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Quiltingnonnie
on 10/23/15 4:34 pm

Please be proud of how far you have come. Don't let nonsupporters get in your way of being a healthier you.

HKT53
on 10/23/15 5:04 pm - Toronto, Canada

Add me to your list of friends. Like the others said, dont judge yourself on other people's opinions. I have been in your situation for 25 years. Yes, I had no immediate family support in the beginning, as I progressed I got less and less comments regarding my "poor" decision. But extended family was always ready to pounce on me. I learned to get stronger mentally as I got better physically. So you might think that "misery likes company" and be looking for friends that sometimes feel WLS was a failure, but I will be your friend. I dont regret a day in 25 years and my extended family and so called criticizing friends can blow it out their "keester" (sp.?). I just had a revision and I am so very thankful for this revision. Dont feel down, feel on top of the world and the champion of any challenge that comes your way.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

kbennett2013
on 10/26/15 1:02 pm

you guys are the best!!

VSG 7/27/2015

Most Active