excess gas and pain

dwilliamson
on 11/2/15 7:09 pm - Canada

I am 7 years post op RNY. I was very successful with my surgery despite a few bumps in the road along the way. I juggled with a bit of weight gain but nothing I can't manage. I'm only 15 lbs away from my original goal. My only question for many of you that are yrs out after RNY is excess gas or cramping in your abdominal area. I've had it for a long time. It comes and goes and I always thought it was due to woman issues but I just had hysterectomy in april and still get these cramps. Even on an empty stomach. Maybe someone can shed some light.

MickeyDee
on 11/2/15 8:18 pm

You might want to eliminate sugar alcohols from your diet; anything like malitol, sorbitol, or any artificial sweetener ending in "ol". These often cause digestive upset such as excess gas and abdominal cramping.

I use Truvia or Stevia for a sweetener because the above artificial sweeteners really do a number on me.

White Dove
on 11/2/15 9:18 pm - Warren, OH

Check everything for sugar alcohols. I was using Celebrate vitamins and had terrible gas from them.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/3/15 4:14 am

I developed IBS-C some years post op RNY. I suspect I have SIBO..and I have to be very careful what I eat, when and how much.

I deal with systematic constipation. Aging daily BM does not mean that I am not "full of it"... Being " backed up" - means that I have to be supper careful what I eat.. Carbs, grains, beans, - they can give me such a horrible gas and pain, that most times I just chose to not to have any. SA - even small amount in SF gum can make me have lots of gas and pain...

Check my post a few days before on poop and constipation...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active