Birthday Cake?

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/9/15 6:15 pm
RNY on 12/31/13
On November 9, 2015 at 2:39 PM Pacific Time, Ashley the Belga Hag wrote:

I won't repeat what has already been said but I agree 100% with most of it.

I will add that I decided last year for my birthday to make a cake (a sugar filled, normal birthday cake) and decorated it and piled candles on it. Then I sat back while my boys sang Happy Birthday to me, "helped" me blow out the candles and then enjoyed watching them enjoy the hell out of eating it.

Because I don't eat cake anymore and this is a given in our home, there was no drama.  I had a wonderful Birthday and they ate the cake.  End of story. No big deal.

It's weird how a like we are Berry Sister -- I did the SAME thing.  No big deal at all.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Ashley in Belgium
on 11/10/15 3:46 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I don't think we are the ones who are weird.....  But if I have a clone somewhere then I am glad it's you Kat the Small.

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/10/15 5:25 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I completely agree.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Tracy D.
on 11/9/15 11:56 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Teach your daughter how to make something else that would be a good choice for you (sugar-free pudding, something from Eggface's website).  It'll expand her cooking skills and you'll be setting a great example.  

Don't give in to pressure to eat something to make someone "happy" - especially your kid.  Five years from now she's not going to remember that you didn't have cake for your birthday but she will remember that NOT eating the cake turned into a big effing deal, right?  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

kathkeb
on 11/9/15 8:02 pm

Honestly, for me, one bite is one too many.

you can tell your daughter that birthday cake is "not my food" anymore ... And leave Iraq that.

there is no one and nothing that will take me back to certain foods .... 

Tryong to substitute other things does not help me ... It is easier to refrain than moderate ..... So, I just don't do it ... For anyone or anything.

Kath

Deb366
on 11/11/15 7:27 am
A six year old is only upset if someone else is making her upset. It comes from a deprivation mindset, "oh I can't eat this!". If you move to I choose to be healthy and for me that means not eating this right now, or having a fruit treat on my birthday, whatever, you can easily change it now.

I agree with the folks who have said it is important to be a good role model. Food isn't bad, it was our relationship with it. We need food and there may be a time you want to have a piece of cake.

As long as you are happy and comfortable with your choice, you r child will be too, unless someone else is telling her something different.

And there are lots of healthy options out there. Enjoy your birthday!
Juliek7312
on 11/11/15 6:41 pm

That is why I made this post to ask for healthy options. I dont understand why everyone is getting hung up on the fact that I said my daughter would be upset. My husband is currently deployed and he isnt going to be here for any of the holidays. I dont feel like making a bunch of changes to our traditions when she is dealing with him not being here. The last deployments she was too young for it to affect her. If I wanted advice about my daughter I would have asked.

Height: 5'5" HW: 370 SW: 363 CW: 177 RNY: 4/28/15

Most Active