IBS eating post surgery

mute
on 11/10/15 12:55 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

I used to have pretty bad IBS-C. I took meds for a while but then the med was taken off the market. I was in and out of ERs for a while. Gradually I got ahold on what food I could eat and what I couldn't. I cut out greasy food in generally and fast food specifically. Whenever I had an attack I would eat orzo with a little bit of olive oil and spices, bread and potatoes. Then move onto chicken breast when I could. Then I started juicing 2 years ago and my IBS pretty much stopped with that.

I had RNY almost 8 months ago and haven't really had much issue with IBS since then. But I had a MAJOR attack today - one that I haven't had like it since around 2011. I'm not going to eat what I was eating when I had attacks before - they were all pure carbs. I haven't eaten bread or pasta or potatoes since the surgery and I refuse to do it now. I can't juice either. 

So my question for others with IBS issues is what food has worked for others with IBS after the surgery? I'm going to try chicken tonight. But I don't want to eat chicken 24/7 for the next week.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

Deanna798
on 11/10/15 1:07 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

I'm sorry that I dint have any advice for you,  but what ate the symptoms that you are having?  I've had some pain for the last 10 ish years, and suspected it's ibs but have never been diagnosed.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

mute
on 11/10/15 1:20 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

Well from what I understand with IBS is that it can be different for everyone but for me when it started and I kept going to the doctor they kept thinking it was my gallbladder or something else but nothing showed up on tests they did. Pain meds are useless especially with IBS-C because they cause constipation. My symptoms generally just include pain in my stomach and constipation that gets worse and worse. When I say I have an attack I mean that I have an attack where I can barely move because the pain is so bad. Today I had an attack that is super rare for me - I think I've had one maybe 4 ties over the last 10 years - where I almost pass out from the pressure and pain. 

It can be common to have alternating IBS-C and IBS-D also. 

supershopper
on 11/10/15 6:17 pm

I had ibs-d. there were certain foods that trigger it for me: soy, milk, too much dairy during the day. Fried foods, too much mayo, cream, and STRESS!

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

Neesie57
on 11/10/15 6:31 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I have IBS-D, so the opposite problem of yours.  The past three months since surgery I have had only one or two attacks of IBS, so this has been a God send for me.  The lack of carbs and fats have made all the difference in the world for me.  

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/11/15 4:30 am

I deal with that.   There is now theory that SIBO can cause that. And treatment can include antibiotics. Finding good gastro doc, that knows about the current research may be a good idea. 

The drugs that help with the severe pain and cramps are hyoscyamine. Sublingual. If I got a major attack - typically 3-4 at one time would help. 

In an IBS-C attack due to very high stress.. (i.e my car was smashed by a falling tree)...1-2 glasses of wine help. Not only they release the spasms- but that also helps with food digestion- so the next day things are "moving". 

I don't know anything that works as well as wine. If I take narco - the pain may stop for as long as narco is working - but the moment that drugs stop - the pain returns even worse. 

As for diet - I limit or completely avoid grains and food from FODMAP list. 

I try to follow low FODMAP diet. All the time. 

I take 2-3 capfuls of Miralax a day. Every day. 

I take 2000-4000 mg of regular vit C a day. 

I try to make sure I don't eat solid foods for 12-16 hours in every 24 hours..but drink a lot of calorie free liquids to wash my gut from any residue... 

If my gut is not "moving" very well... I limit solid foods that day and push more liquids... 

Check my "poop and constipation" post a few days ago.  

In addition - I got tested for food allergies and try to limit or eliminate foods that I have allergies to. 

Abdominal massage - deep massage - also helps me. Breathing exercise, acupuncture... 

I.e - I avoid most fruits - I.e apples.. But once in a while I really want some. So I would buy 1-2 and eat that- but I am prepared for more gas, pain and constipation... So when I eat an apple - I would take extra Miralax that day and the next to increase the food transition... (due to my IBS- SIBO - my guts slows down if I eat apples or other high FODMAP foods)

It is even worse if I eat cheese- I know I should not - but once in a while I get tempted. Cheese acts like glue - cement , in my gut. 

Oral iron  - is a no go. The pain is way too much... (except proferrin. ) 

And so on.... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

mute
on 11/11/15 5:39 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Yesterday I went back and read your post again after I had my attack. I didn't do the wine thing because I also have really bad migraines that are cyclical and right now I'm starting to have them again. Wine doesn't help those at all. But I will try that the next time my gut is acting that badly and my head isn't hurting.

I don't think I understood the not eating solid food for 12-16 hours a day thing? Do you mean you try to only eat in a specific time span during the day? Like from 8-5? I'm not sure I could do that...generally I eat 5 meals a day, spacing out my calories throughout the day and that seems to work best for me. I wonder why that works better for your gut?

I haven't had any luck with finding a good gastro who has been helpful with IBS, living in a small town the ones I've gone to that have been within network for insurance have not been great so I've dealt with it on my own and have been successful for the most part for the last 4 years or so. My network keeps shrinking and I just found out that they are now not covering my therapist. So now my Neurologist, my therapist and my bariatric surgeon have all been kicked off my network...SO frustrating. 

Ok, back to food - I just looked at the FODMAP list and generally I follow it for the most part except for a few veggies. I don't eat many fruits either since the surgery, just a few occasionally.  I DO eat a ton of cheese. I have wondered if that is bad for my stomach because of my IBS but it hasn't really seemed to be a problem.

If my stomach keeps acting up I'm going to have to figure this out and start doing me own trial and error again. It was such a pain last time! But this time I already don't eat fried foods or greasy foods so there's that at least. 

And this is gross but after my attack yesterday I weighed myself this morning and I lost 3 pounds in one day! UGH.

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/11/15 10:52 am

I start following IF - intermittent fasting.  It is eating food only during 8-12 hrs every day ; ideally 8-10 hrs and no food only non -caloric drinks during the other times. Initially I started doing that to lose some regain. I read enough about it - and that is suppose helo with so many things...

as I side effect - I noticed that when I delayed eating and drank a lot of liquids -my IBS got better. 

I had adrenal issue - so I take steroids every day - but not at night.  cortisol is critical to maintain normal sugar levels. Low cortisol can leads to hypoglycemia. I used to get really low BS in a middle of the night...

so I learn that eating some foods just before bed - around 9-10 pm (nuts) allows my body to slowly digest them and keeps my BS very stable...  But - the food in small guts most likely contributes fro SIBO - and = IBS... 

Normal people have dinner at 6-7 pm.. then don't eat until morning...naturally maintaining the 12-14 hrs "break" in eating... 

I realized that by justs drinking a lot of liquids between my last meal and noon - allows me to wash food residue from my small intestines - thus keeping the bacteria more in check. (washing them down)

I notice the time of my last meal- then add 14 hr - and that is when I know I can start eating again...  And I push a lot of liquids - to stimulate my gut and to just "wa**** internally". 

There are days that I may eat earlier - but I learned not to do that very often...  

I typically getup at am and drink coffee, tea, water.. until lunch time. 

Some of my "IBS friends" reported that IF method works for them... 

because of my specific situation -  my typical window when I eat food (even liquid - i.e. creamer in my coffee) is 12-9 pm.  That works best for me... 14-15 hrs of "not eating" but drinking liquids (no alcohol or anything with calories) works really well  for my IBS... 

BTW: be careful with wine or any other alcohol - I do get drunk on 2 glasses of wine - but the relief is almost instant - from bend in half - unable to walk or breathe - to a almost normal  - but drank... going to sleep.   

Make sure your pain is not due to some other issues like hernia, twisted guts, etc.  I had that - and I had a few surgeries...

And before someone try to judge me about suggesting wine - unless you know what IBS-C pain feel like, when you can't walk, or even breathe -bend in half, wishing you can just reach inside you and rip out the guts, crying in pain... you really don't know what you are talking about.  

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

mute
on 11/11/15 1:35 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

Okay, thank you for explaining that so clearly! I didn't get it before. I hadn't heard of that at all before. But admittedly I did a ton of research on IBS probably 10 years ago, then got dx with breast cancer 8 years ago so moved on to being more concerned with that lol and haven't done any real research since then. I did some research since but not as intensive as what I did when the doctors first figured out what it was I had. If this keeps up I will definitely give this a try.

Re: wine - I have only had wine twice since the surgery and half a glass and definitely realize how drunk I can get and how quickly now! But the pain can be so intense and pain pills can't be taken so  I would try that for sure. And I don't judge you (obviously) for suggesting wine. IBS pain is pretty unique - I've had a lot of pain in a lot of places but this is one type that makes you not be able to move, it's insane!

And I don't think the pain is anything else because it was exactly like IBS attacks in the past but if it persists and things I do to make it better don't change things I will get it checked out.

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/12/15 3:36 am

Google SIBO IBS and antibiotics for that. Made a huge difference in my life. 

Btw - the wine comment was not directed at you - if you have IBS attack - you know exactly how horrible it can be and finding something that may work - and get rid of the spasms are really "God send".. 

I partially joke when I say " after 2 glasses of wine - either that would help with pain or I would be too drunk to care..." I react to red wine - but red dry wine is best for IBS issue.  But stay away from very cheap wines - the headache is not worth the IBS cure... 

Most Active