Shapewear advice? (Xposted to RNY forum)

jenorama
on 11/17/15 9:16 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I like the under bust camis by Maidenform. They keep things under control and are comfy enough for all day wear without riding up. When things get real, I'll break out the Squeem, but that one can show lines on certain fabrics. 

Jen

Pokemom
on 11/18/15 9:28 am, edited 11/18/15 1:32 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Thanks.  I had never heard of Squeem before...looked at some photos, and it made me think of the scene from Laura Ingalls Wilder, "Little House in the Big Woods," where she watches the older women at the dance, helping each other into their corsets.  That is some serious stuff.  ;-)

Kim M.
on 11/20/15 3:53 am

Squeem is wonderful.  It instantly takes at least three inches off the waistline.  Love...love...love it.  

crystal M.
on 11/18/15 7:10 am - Joliet, IL

I will say that what the model is wearing in the picture above I found very uncomfortable.  It pushed my legs together and my legs were rubbing all night.  What I ended up liking a combination tank and shorts from target. I always get the "open" tank so your boobs aren't compressed also.  They have ones where they are one piece but I like separates because sometimes I don't need the top.  So for me it's preference for options...and also easier to go to bathroom without messing with crotch clips...LOL  

http://www.target.com/p/assets-by-sara-blakely-a-spanx-brand -women-s-supreme-slimmers-open-bust-tank-2532/-/A-15737052#p rodSlot=_1_43

http://www.target.com/p/assets-by-sara-blakely-a-spanx-brand -women-s-supreme-slimmers-girl-short/-/A-15744136#prodSlot=_ 1_44

Pokemom
on 11/18/15 9:48 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Thanks for the honest detail on rubbing legs and the open cami.  Also the point about options.  And the links!  Super helpful.

I know that if I feel too compressed, it will drive me batty.  

I am realizing (right now!) that what I am apparently aiming for is not for people to admire me, but to avoid negative attention from my lumps and under lines.  Now down more than 90 lbs from my highest,  and getting lots of positive comments about my appearance, I am still in the MO mindset of "better to be ignored than made fun of."  Will have to work on that!  I would at least like my husband to feel proud of me.  Will be at a small dinner party with his managers, colleagues, and Vice President.  Have never met these people.   I have always counted on my wit, insight, kindness. Time for a little Flash as well.  

But still not feel smooshed.  That's a good byline:  "smoothed not smooshed."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/18/15 11:06 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I hadn't considered that as my legs no longer touch. If yours still touch, this is likely a very good point. I don't feel overly compressed in mine -- and I didn't buy it big or anything -- 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Pokemom
on 11/18/15 11:26 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Based on the advice, and all the photos I see online, I think I will need to try on roughly a gazillion options, to see what works best. 

My legs do still touch.  I think they always will.  I have 25-30 lbs left to goal, but I don't think there will be any thigh gap ever, even if I were to have plastic surgery!

For my legs, both now and what I foresee in the future, let's just say I am happy to see the return of the midi skirt length.

Pokemom
on 11/18/15 11:27 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Someday, I will get around to posting photos besides Victini-the-Pokemon.  One year surgiversary coming up. 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/18/15 11:29 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On November 18, 2015 at 7:26 PM Pacific Time, Pokemom wrote:

Based on the advice, and all the photos I see online, I think I will need to try on roughly a gazillion options, to see what works best. 

My legs do still touch.  I think they always will.  I have 25-30 lbs left to goal, but I don't think there will be any thigh gap ever, even if I were to have plastic surgery!

For my legs, both now and what I foresee in the future, let's just say I am happy to see the return of the midi skirt length.

LOL, don't be so sure. 

Don't forget, I started at 344 lbs -- and I swear to you that my chub rub in my thighs was so great that I used to start bonfires just by walking for the local scouting groups. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

jenorama
on 11/18/15 12:39 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Yesterday I was wearing fleece-lined nylon pants and while my thighs don't rub as much as they used to, I still felt like a kid wearing corduroys as I walked down the hallways.  Instead of a "vrrrp vrrrp" sound, it was more of a "sssshh ssshh" sound!

Jen

Most Active