How to make vitamins taste better?

Donna L.
on 11/29/15 5:42 pm, edited 11/29/15 5:43 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I'm lucky and I get my vitamins from Nascobal's nutrition direct.  The problem is that the multivitamins taste...awful to where they make me nauseous.  I figured I had a bad batch, but subsequent ones were just as horrid.  Any suggestions on masking the awful taste?  I'd prefer to keep these since I get all my vites for $25/month.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

White Dove
on 11/29/15 5:47 pm, edited 11/29/15 5:54 pm - Warren, OH

I'm lucky and I get my vitamins from Nascobal's nutrition direct.  The problem is that the multivitamins taste...awful to where they make me nauseous.  I figured I had a bad batch, but subsequent ones were just as horrid.  Any suggestions on masking the awful taste?  I'd prefer to keep these since I get all my vites for $25/month.  They also don't want me to use the patches except as a last resort.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Donna L.
on 11/29/15 5:53 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

That's true.  The nutritionist and surgeon want me to stay on bariatric-specific vitamins, though.  Maybe I'll talk to them about taking Centrum when I see them in a few weeks.  

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/30/15 4:12 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Complain to Nasobal.  I use them too and they are terrible. They go through your insurance company, so your ins company is probably paying top dollar for crappy vitamins.  (You prob have a $25 co-pay)

The new nasal B-12 vit single-app things are the worse - the red stuff drips out.  After I took it last week, I met with a friend - she told me I had a nose bleed, but it was the B12 dripping out again. l never had this problem with the old multi-use sprayer.  YUCK!!  I go back for my 1 year check-up and I will be asking for a new program.  I recently got a feedback form from Nascobal and I wrote how poor the new program was. 

Sharon

Donna L.
on 12/4/15 5:22 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

This has happened to me.  It's very annoying.

hollykim
on 11/30/15 8:25 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 30, 2015 at 1:42 AM Pacific Time, Meep wrote:

I'm lucky and I get my vitamins from Nascobal's nutrition direct.  The problem is that the multivitamins taste...awful to where they make me nauseous.  I figured I had a bad batch, but subsequent ones were just as horrid.  Any suggestions on masking the awful taste?  I'd prefer to keep these since I get all my vites for $25/month.

you can't make nasty vitamins taste better. They are what they are. Your choices are: continue with them anyway or suck it up and buy vitamins that aren't nasty.

eventually,you are going to start not taking them and then you will be paying $25 for your labs to be in the toilet.

Donna L.
on 12/4/15 4:46 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

This is absolutely true.  I tried putting them in a number of things... blech.  I'll discontinue them and buy stuff that doesn't utterly suck.

Laura in Texas
on 11/30/15 6:05 pm

The only multivitamins that do not make me nauseous are Centrum or CVS chewables. Others smell funky to me and make me sick long after I take them. The CVS senior chewables only cost me $4/month (a 60 tablet bottle is $8 and I buy them when they are BOGO free).

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 12/1/15 12:42 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

My surgeon required that I purchase Bariatric Advantage multivitamins from him before surgery.  They tasted horrible to me and the grainy consistency made me gag.  And they're expensive.

I checked around OH for suggestions, and now I take Celebrate Chewables in either mandarin orange or grape.   I've been taking them for well over a year and can still tolerate them.  Many of the vets in maintenance switch to Centrum or generics and seem to have no issues.

I don't think there's much you can do to change the existing taste of your vitamins.  You may want to switch and see if something else appeals to you.  I figure that I save so much money on food now that paying for vitamins and calcium that I like is worth it. 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Donna L.
on 12/4/15 4:44 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

After everyone's advice I'll probably give the Celebrate chewables a whirl, or the Centrum.  I truly appreciate all the assistance! :)

Most Active