New job - how do you deal with eating around new people?

mute
on 12/22/15 7:53 am
RNY on 03/23/15

So yay I finally got a job! I start in January which is awesome and I'm very excited. I've worked from home for years and I've been very open about my surgery with everyone I know - on FB, everything. So I haven't had to hide my eating habits from anyone. But I'm sensitive about health things at work because of my cancer history too - I hate, hate, hate being that girl and don't want to be that again (and I know having WLS is not the same as cancer lol!). 

So- the question is how have those of you who haven't shared your WLS with work people dealt with eating in the office? This office seems pretty close and when I was there I saw pizzas being delivered and people going out to eat together. I'm assuming someone will eventually comment on my eating habits. Or am I just overthinking this? I do like to think ahead and plan things out so I'm not surprised. I'm a planner, I can't help it!

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

emelar
on 12/22/15 7:59 am - TX

You're over thinking.  Really.  You're far enough out from your surgery that what you're eating isn't a freakishly small amount, and honestly, people don't really pay that much attention to what you're eating anyway.  I eat out regularly at lunch.  I'm always able to find something in my plan, and I take home leftovers often.  Although everyone here knows I had WLS, it's really not a big deal.

and MANY CONGRATULATIONS AND MERRY CHRISTMAS on the new job!!!!!

KeishaLeigh
on 12/22/15 8:02 am - NC
VSG on 02/24/15 with

Congratulations on your new job! 

38 y.o. 5'7" HW 347 SW 332 M1 -22 M2 -18 M3 -19 M4 -9 M5 -18 M6 -11 M7 -13 M8-9 M9 -7 M10 -8 M11 -5 M12 -1 M13 -9 M14 -0 

crystal M.
on 12/22/15 8:22 am - Joliet, IL

I don't think about it.  I think if you don't make an issue of it no one else will.  I am known as the healthy eater in the office but I take pride in that.  

peachpie
on 12/22/15 9:58 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Since surgery I can only think of two times people commented on my eating. Both times is was a simple "oh, looks like you're being good today" and they left it at that.

I'm a loner, I don't eat with anyone at work so no one ever sees what I pack. In my experience when people see that you consistently bring your lunch, they never include you with ordering of food. Every once in a great while they'll ask me if I want to order, mostly because I was probably in their space at the time they were discussing it. 

Even during the pre-op liquid diet no one questioned me-- I think it will be a non-issue. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

(deactivated member)
on 12/22/15 11:35 am

I think it depends on how comfortable you are with your relationship with food.  Are you okay with having all those temptations around you so much so that you have the self-control to say no or can you have one piece of pizza without turning it into a food fest at home afterwards?  Do people need to know so they can take your needs into consideration?

I say this because I am that person.  I do need for people to know about my WLS and to take me into consideration.  I can't handle being around foods like that because even if I turn them down in public, I am likely to have started thinking about them and will then go home to eat them.  Think about, as you work there, confiding in someone.  Fact of the matter is:  You have had WLS.  You should not spend your days at work with people that you might spend more time with than your own family, hiding things.  You never know; you could be the office inspiration.  Overcoming cancer and having WLS don't define you; you are such a strong person, and people should get to know you and know what battles you've overcome.  

It's your decision as to what you share and don't about your personal life.  I certainly wouldn't go in there the first day telling all my life story, but over time, as there is food brought in and you are eating your own thing or a small piece of theirs (if you can handle it), you can let others know.  It's up to you! 

Congratulations on your new job and I wish you well!

Tracy D.
on 12/22/15 1:13 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You're over-thinking it.  I got a new job when I was 7 months post-op.  Nobody questioned my eating behavior.  Every one "assumed" (since I was at goal weight) that the reason I was thin was due to my stellar eating habits.  

If anyone does ask about what I eat or why I tell them I stick to low-carb/high protein because I'm a Type II unmedicated diabetic.  Their eyes get really big and they say "ohhhh!" and typically never ask another question

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/22/15 2:01 pm

for me: I am allergic and some food makes me sick - can make me very sick..  but- that comes with responsibility - really not to eat ... 

grains - I can eat- but then I get such a bad gas... so I chose not to (I declared gluten intolerance - sensitivity) 

cheese , yogurt- I am really allergic to the proteins...

soy - if you even mention that around me and i start itching... and when I scratch - everyone around feel like they start itching...

sugar - that one will make me super sick... for hours if not days... 

at the end - it is food choices -

"I can't eat that because I might get sick"  

"I don't eat food like that, I don't like how I feel when I eat that.."

last but not least - "I don't like it" ... simple....

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/22/15 3:01 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Funny story: started a new job at a university with a friend/colleague when I was about a year and 150 pounds down.  I think I was about a size 10 still at the time.  My friend was the only one who knew me before.

One day, our boss brought in some really gorgeous pastries.  Everyone in my department was scarfing them down -- and I declined.  My new boss, in front of everyone said, "Oh god!!  It's always the girls who have no worries about their weight that pass up the goodies!  She's making us all look bad!"

It had never dawned on me that anyone would see me as anything other than an obese woman who needed to diet.  My friend and I laughed and laughed about this later.  If they only knew!

Lessons learned:

1.  never assume that a slim person doesn't/hasn't worked at it.  
  2. Other people do not care what you eat or don't eat unless it is in direct comparison to themselves.  
  3. If you eat lightly, they will assume correctly that you care about your health, and it's why you are slim.  

You got this!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

mute
on 12/22/15 3:21 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

I'm definitely not at the point where I would be mistaken as thin since I would still qualify for the surgery now but I get what you're all saying. I'm just so used to being open about it that it doesn't bother me. But I spent a lot of time being the cancer girl and wasn't treated very well at the place I worked at the time while going through chemo and then I was the migraine girl and I missed a lot of work while I was getting those under control so I won't be talking about it at work, I'm positive of that.

Thanks for all the input.

Most Active