Should I be nervous

Biglady904
on 1/15/16 6:17 am

OK I'm in the beginning process of my weight loss surgery journey I'm 26 female and today I learned that I need to do a ekg,chest x ray and a esophagram I'm so scared I havre terrible anxiety about things like this my mom and the lady who is helping me said I have nothing to worry that it's routine and they need to do things like this for people who have surgery but I'm so scared

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/15/16 6:22 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I am sorry you feel nervous, but truthfully you have no reason to be.  These are standards of care -- and I would be far more concerned if any doctor/hospital was willing to do surgery WITHOUT doing this simple tests.  These are painless.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

peachpie
on 1/15/16 6:28 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Has your doctor not explained the tests he requires to have done before surgery? The chest X-ray and EKG are pretty standard- i did both-- I don't know what the other test is for.  I know your Mom & 'someone' is helping you, but you are 26, time to take charge of this for yourself. Best way to combat fear to be be well informed; know what to expect as much as you can. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/16 7:14 am

Congratulations on taking the first steps towards a healthier future. Do go on line and look up the info on the tests the Dr wants. They are all standard. An esophagram is the only one you do anything but lie still for. It requires you drink barium and as  it passes through your throat and esophagus the Dr can see that you have no abnormalities that would make surgery difficult. If  you are really terribly nervous maybe your Dr would prescribe something for your anxiety. On the plus side going through these tests will help make you more comfortable with the whole medical care scene and thus your upcoming surgery. Good luck.

Tracy D.
on 1/15/16 9:03 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

There are standard tests that are required to be done before any type of surgery.  If your anxiety is super-high then talk to your doctor about taking some Valium or something like that before the test.  You need to make sure the drugs won't mess anything up.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/15/16 10:04 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

You might want to look into therapy & find ways to ease your anxiety. These tests are pretty standard, after all they want you to be as healthy as possible b4 surgery & catch any problems & treat them beforehand.

When I went for my esophragram I found out that I had a very mild case of gerd & a hiatial hernia, none of which I would've known about unless I was getting the surgery. Believe me its way better to find out & get treated in the early stages b4 surgery, than after.  

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/16 1:08 pm

In my life the only things that have ever 'scared' me, are things I knew little or nothing about. We are fortunate enough to live in a world where the knowledge of anything is at your finger tips.

Youtube the videos of these if you need to physically need to see what's going to happen at these exams. I had all three also. But the fear of the unknown is going to rear it's head again. Prepare yourself with knowledge, and the fear will lessen. Small Victories.

Welcome, this is a great place.

Most Active