What's it like ?

Biglady904
on 1/20/16 10:14 pm

When your done with surgery what's it like ? How did you feel ? 

WereYorkie
on 1/20/16 11:15 pm
VSG on 05/11/15

Like any other surgery. 

Every person is going to give you a different answer. Why? Because each person is an individual--special and unique.

Now, me personally?  I had zero complications, little pain, and healed very well. By week 3, I was walking a mile. Week 6, two miles. 

I was also mentally ready in taking this step. I had friends who'd had the surgery and failed. I more importantly has friends who'd had the surgery and succeeded. They are the ones I observed and took notes. 

This surgery was the first one I've ever had. I had a great surgeon and a top notch team. Wouldn't have changed a thing and I certainly don't regret it.

Highest weight: 340

Initial Consult: 327.8

Surgery weight: 296 (May 11, 2015)

Today's weigh in: 211.2

Total loss from Highest Weight: 128.8

Highest Weight: 340 (7/2/14)  Initial Consult: 327.8 (2/24/15) Home Weigh In on Surgery Date: 291.8 (5/11/15) Today's Weight: 187.4 (5/20/16) Total So Far: 152.6 Pounds!!!!!!

"There's only us. There's only this... forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

Han Shot First
on 1/21/16 4:48 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

My RNY was my first real surgery, so I had no idea what to expect.  I read a ton on this site, but I didn't know how I was going to react.

The first couple of days, I slept a ton.  I would get up every 1-2 hours and walk a lap around the floor of the hospital, and it would be a chore by the time I got to the end.  After I got home, I continued to sleep a ton, and continued to walk.

After a couple of weeks, things got better, but it was still really easy to get tired out.

Out of my five incisions, I had one that was pretty sore for a couple of weeks.  This was the deepest stitch, and I could only sleep on my back for about six weeks.  I did get an abdominal binder to sleep in, and that helped.

I didn't start exercising until about eight weeks out, but I was cleared to after six.  I was nervous to begin, but I shouldn't have been.  It took a while to build up my strength again, but it went fine.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Heavens2Betsy
on 1/21/16 5:33 am
RNY on 02/29/16

I'm like you - I don't know what it's going to be like yet.  At least I don't know what it's going to be like for me!  But, I can tell you that the best way to get a feel for things like that is to read a LOT of the posts that are in these forums.  I've done so much browsing and using the search feature when there's something specific I have a question about.  A whole lot of the answers are laying around here somewhere!  There's a lot of experienced people who have so much knowledge too.  I'm really grateful to have found this group, it's giving me so much confidence that I can get thru this - with a little help (or a lot) from my friends here.  We're all in this together and personally, I'm planning to be a great success story one day!  

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

White Dove
on 1/21/16 6:22 am - Warren, OH

I was 59 and had several surgeries before RNY.  Weight loss surgery was really easy for me.  I did a lot of walking and used very little of the morphine drip.

I had surgery on a Tuesday and went back to work on the following  Monday at a desk job.  I had to be diligent about drinking water.  I made sure I walked at least twenty minutes a day and kep****er with me 24/7.

I bought an abdominal binder and loved the support all day and while sleeping at night.  I had incision pain for about a week.

A person who has never had surgery will be much more impacted than me.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active