Calcium supplements - need help!!

(deactivated member)
on 12/12/05 7:36 am - Western New York, NY
I was wondering what you all take for your Calcium? Currently, I take Citrical...but I have a hard time with the pills. I cut it in half and swallow 1/2 at a time. But, it sits like a brick in my pouch. It seems to be absorbing ok since my bloodwork recently came back ok. I was just wondering if there was anything easier on the stomach for calcium or if there was a trick to getting the tablets down a little smoother. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Gonna-B-A-Loser
on 12/12/05 7:40 am - Somewhere In, MS
I hope you get a good response to this question. I have gotten to the point that I almost gag thinking about Citrical.......there has got to be a better way....LOL LOL LOL. Anxious to get some alternatives.
sp1209
on 12/12/05 7:41 am - AL
I use UpCal D. It is a powder. You just put the little tiny scoop in any kind of drink and stir it up. It is unflavored. HTH
meandpugs
on 12/12/05 7:42 am - valrico, FL
I tell you I take what I beleive to be the best it is Liquid calcium mag. citrate... It comes in many flavors I only like the strawberry and the orange.. It taste like yogart and you only have to take 1 tbs aday not 2-3 pills thru out the day... you can buy it at any Vitiam shoppe or GNC,or vitiam world... I am not kidding when I say if it was not for the liquid I would be out of luck.... Good Luck Cyndee
fngrs132
on 12/12/05 7:42 am - Charlotte, NC
Hi sweetie, I take Caltrate chewables for my supplement. They seem to work pretty well for me. I take 2 a day. How have you been lately? I hope things are going well for you. Dr. Forbes says those are good ones to take. Take care. Monica
Delores S.
on 12/12/05 8:42 am - Country Road, KY
if I'm not mistaken Caltrate is calcuim carbonate. I get it mixed up with citracal all the time. But calcuim citrate is what we absorb best. The Viactiv that someone else mentioned is also calcuim carbonate. Of course, it is better than nothing but that's about it.
(deactivated member)
on 12/12/05 1:08 pm - Western New York, NY
Hey Monica, I'm doing great! I just had my 3 month follow-up not too long ago and I'm down 63 pounds! I feel really good too. Dr. Forbes is really happy with how I'm doing and that all my bloodwork came back really good. I just have to keep it up now and get in some more exercise. How are you doing???
fngrs132
on 12/12/05 7:19 pm - Charlotte, NC
I am doing very well, I am down 90 lbs total from my pre-op weight until now. I have energy like you wouldn't believe. I go for my 6 month checkup with Dr. Forbes on Jan. 6, and i'm hoping that all goes well. I have been slacking on the exercise lately, but i'm trying to get back on track with it. I just can't believe how fast the weight has come off for me, even though i'm a light weight. Even with the complications I had after surgery, I would still do this again in a heartbeat. Talk to you soon. Monica
Valerie G.
on 12/12/05 7:45 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Hi, are you allowed to take Viactive? They have little chewy chocolate and caramel pieces and they're quite tasty. I'm not sure about the sugar content, though, so you may want to investigate that first.
Kathy & Rich
on 12/12/05 7:50 am - Fairfax, VA
Viactivs are calcium carbonate and require stomach acids to be absorbed. RNYers don't have stomach acids so that is not the best form of calcium for post-ops. Calcium citrate is the recommended form of calcium. Kathy
Most Active