One month post op struggles

Chelsey1127
on 5/10/16 4:47 pm

im almost at my one month post op from surgery. It's been a struggle and there are some days I wonder if having the surgery was worth it. I've met w my surgeon and am doing what he's suggested for being uncomfortable. It feels like I'm back at the beginning with acid reflux and my stomach hurts all the time. Some days, water intake is fine other days, forget anything. I'm on omperzaole and Pepcid and that still doesn't seem to make a difference. All I keep getting is drink more water and protein. While I understand and know this, it's hard when you are just so uncomfortable and have a hard time keeping up. Has anyone else had these problems? Any solutions that helped them? I've talked to the nurse, dr and surgeon. So I've been through the rounds already. Puréed or soft foods, doesn't matter what it is, forget it. Ugh struggling hardcore right now 

Beginning Weight: 345

Day of Surgery: 318

Goal Weight: 180

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/10/16 4:55 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I'm sorry that you're struggling.  Which surgery did you have?

You might ask your doctor to write you a prescription for a different PPI, such as Protonix.  It seems to works when others do not.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Chelsey1127
on 5/10/16 5:00 pm

I had RNY. I have never heard of that one, thank you! I want to be successful and get healthy but I feel like I'm stumped right now. 

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 5/10/16 6:21 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I also had RNY.   Generally, I progressed well, however there were sometimes where I got a stomache ache - a good old fashion elementary school stomach ache.  The third time it happened, I went back to all protein shakes - yucky, but they always went down OK and no pain.  I added other things slowly and experimented - it turned out it was the vitamins.  I used the patches for the first 3 months and now use the chalky ones that dissolve in your mouth.  The gummies and good tasting chewables caused the problem.   I'm not saying that it's your vitamins, but is there anything that does not cause a problem, start with it, wait 20 minutes before trying anything more. Very small amounts, very slowly.  This is the getting used to your pouch phase and it can be a big science expermimnt.

Some of it might also resolve after you have lost 50ish pounds and there may be just less pressure on your innards.  You can sorta think that your insides take twice as long to heal as your outside.  So, your insides are only half as healed as the cuts you can see.  It can take some time until it heals.

It;s easy to get "It's-never-gonna-get-better-itis" but you really need to wait a year to even think about having buyer's remorse with WLS. 

Hang in there

Sharon

Chelsey1127
on 5/10/16 9:29 pm

I never considered vitamins being a problem. I started taking them this last week and that's when things started to go downhill so to speak. I didn't know there are vitamin parches, I'll have to look into that. I know I'm not the only one that's had problems so I'd rather ask vs freaking out more than I already have.

thank you!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 5/11/16 7:39 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

The whole first 3 months was a science experiment.  One other thing that caused a problem was that I tried 100% vegan protein powder.  I think when I mixed it up, I did not use enough water and it just stayed in my stomach for hours and absorbed water and I could feel this lump in my stomach along with an ache.  I even went into the doctor and she said for me to wait longer before drinking after eating.  It was a few days later that I figured out the vegan prot powder needs more water, so I just gave it away to someone who was pre-op.  I then used pre-mixed Pure Protein in a can and never had another problem.

Good luck.  It's been a big change for your body and there are prob some little tricks that you will discover.

Sharon

peachpie
on 5/10/16 7:08 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Sorry you're not bouncing back quickly. It is only a month, and ou are doing the right thing talking to your team. I didn't have to take ppi's post op, and had no acid issues- so I can't really relate in that regard. But my pain lingered and I picked up a cold so coughing made the pain worse. It's a blip on the radar now-- soon enough this will all be a blip on you radar too.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Chelsey1127
on 5/10/16 9:30 pm

Fingers crossed! I know it takes a lot of adjustment so I'm trying to relearn everything. Thank you!

Darcy G.
on 5/10/16 8:10 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

I've had lots the same problems. I was 1 no out Saturday andtoday is the first day I might get 60g protein inand more than 40-48oz liquids.

For me, medicine changes have helped. I was having gastroparesis(stomach refused to empty) so there was literally no getting more in. 

I'd start by noting down exactly what happens when you do X and Y. Foods, times, amounts, symptoms after... That will at least give you some documentation to show your Dr or maybe your nutritionist? 

As for me, I'm enlisting some outside Dr help (gastroenterologist) because part of my problems are IBS-related, but also because I want someone specializing iin the digestive system to weigh in at this point. My point is, sometimes you have to make more noise or enlist other opinions to get your needs met.

Hope it gets easier soon. We're not all WLS rock stars... But that doesn't mean we still can't make it work, and I definitely feel the regret at times... But only way out is thru now.

Good luck. Everyone is rooting for you.

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

Chelsey1127
on 5/10/16 9:33 pm

That's what I'm thinking too, talking to someone who specializes in stomachs basically. I've had problems way before this w my stomach so I was hoping the surgery would help w a portion of this so it was more livable. I think I tried too many things too often and that could have caused issues too. I'm starting from scratch again and seeing what it is. Thank you!

Most Active