MRI - Lap Band - any of them NOT MRI safe?

valkyrie00
on 7/20/16 11:07 am

I need to have a MRI on my shoulder as soon as possible but I'm trying to find out if the lap band/port are MRI safe.  Everything I've read says yes, it is as that topic has been addressed many times here.

I had it placed in Mexico with Dr. Rumbaut (Who I've called and left voice messages, emailed and sent facebook messages with no response) back in 2001.  I still have it and really have no issues other than occasionally getting something hung up.  I'll be having it taken out as soon as financially possible but right now, my shoulder is my issue.

Does anyone know of ANY lapbands that are NOT MRI safe?  I'm overly cautious and very much appreciate your input.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/20/16 1:20 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I found the documentation on the standard lap-band produced by the Allergan company. That one is made of stainless steel and titanium, which should be MRI-safe.

The REALIZE band, from a different manufacturer, seems similar. One model of this has a titanium port, and the other model is plastic.

I'd suggest calling the radiologist so they can take a look. If memory serves, they can basically wave a magnetic wand over you, and if there's anything that the MRI would attract-- implants, pins, whatever-- the magnet will activate and they'll know not to stick you in the machine.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

valkyrie00
on 7/20/16 1:26 pm

Good to know - thank you so much!!

Nic M
on 7/20/16 3:15 pm

I had MRIs done while banded, no problem. 

Are you having referred left shoulder pain? That's what my MRI was for. I wish I could have saved the time and money. It was caused by the band damaging the Vagus nerve system. 

Good luck to you! Hope you get answers and feel better. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

valkyrie00
on 7/20/16 8:01 pm

Hi - no this is on my right shoulder. Possible rotator cuff damage.  I have had the shoulder pain you speak of but only for a few seconds at a time through the years.  Thank you very much for responding!

Nic M
on 7/21/16 8:36 am

Wishing you the best of luck. Sorry to hear you're having rotator cuff issues. Glad to hear it's not referred left shoulder pain, not that rotator cuff pain is any better! But you'd hate to have pain in both shoulders, most definitely. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 7/20/16 10:44 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

If this helps - before I had the MRI for my shoulder, they asked me if I worked around metal and could any pieces have gotten into my eye. i said yes and was given an xray to make sure that no metal pieces would rip my eyes apart.  I dont know if a similar analysis could be used for the lap band.  A radiologist may know for sure. 

i

Sharon

Most Active