No restriction

Steffanytrout
on 9/21/16 4:04 pm

I am new to this group. I had gastric bypass 16 months ago and lost 110 pounds. I got pregnant 4 months after my surgery. For the past week and a half I have noticed I can eat large amounts without feeling restriction and I can also eat sweets without feeling sick like I did before. I am just trying to figure out what might be going on or if this is just a phase? Any input would be appreciated.

Deanna798
on 9/21/16 6:09 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

What kind of things are you eating?  I can eat large amounts of slider foods with no problem.  Give me a bunch of donuts and I can eat them all with very little sickness.  BUT, give me 3 or 4 ounces of dense protein and I'm stuffed.

I'm just 14 months post op, so not far behind you.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Ladytazz
on 9/21/16 9:09 pm

It depends on what you are eating.  Stick with dense protein first and you should find your restriction is better.  

But, the point isn't to get full, it is to be satisfied with less food.  Even if you can eat more doesn't mean you have to.  Try eating dense protein first with your meal, then small amounts of vegetables and wait a while.  You will find that even though you don't feel full you don't feel hungry either.  If you do feel hungry have more dense protein.

As far as sweets go, that is a slippery slope to go down.  My sister had a RNY about 14 years ago.  She found over time she was able to tolerate sweets again.  She also regained most of the weight she lost.  Just tell yourself that it may make you sick even if it didn't last time.  It doesn't mean it won't the next time.  Use whatever deterrent you can to avoid them.  That is the fastest way to regain.

Also, usually sweets aren't going to fill you up like dense protein.  The honeymoon is over as far as the easy days of eating and weight loss right after WLS.  Now is the time you get to use your tool to your advantage.  You can't depend on just the surgery to help you.  You have to use it to make it  work.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

crystal M.
on 9/22/16 10:28 am - Joliet, IL

I don't have the same surgery as you do but I think the its the same concept for all of us.  If you eat dense food you are satisfied with less.  But with slider food I can eat wayyy too much.   

Most Active