Your experience after quiting Antidepresants? Continue or Quit?

sunshinespring
on 10/13/16 7:43 pm - Bay Area, CA

For those that have taken antidepressant, have you quit them for good and have you been able to pull thru without?

I quit cold Turkey in June after 10 years of Zoloft, OMG the ride has been hell but getting better this past couple of months my doctor put me on Lexapro which hurt my eyes terribly, then Effexor the worse medicine ever :(

the Withdrawal symptoms' have gotten better after over 2 months and I am not sure whether to continue to try other ones or try to ride it out

What's your experience been like?

The Salty Hag
on 10/14/16 6:05 am
RNY on 05/20/13

The only time I was off my antidepressant was 7 years ago. I had run out and thought I could do without.

It was NOT pretty. It was PMSx1,000,000. I could function without it but I was not happy and made life not fun for my family, so as soon as I could I got back on it.

I am better as a medicated person, so I will do whatever it takes to ensure I stay that way!

Effexor was awful for me too. I tried it in 2007. Never again.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

chris_ruff
on 10/14/16 7:11 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

have you talked to your doctor about tapering rather than quitting cold turkey? depending on the medication and the length of time one has been taking it, it can be painful or dangerous to quit cold turkey.

personally, when i stopped, i tapered and did not have any terrible withdrawal symptoms. 

--Christina
sunshinespring
on 10/14/16 1:41 pm - Bay Area, CA

I wish I did, unfortunately I didn't know the withdrawal issues and quit and now that we have tried o couple of other antidepresants they are not sitting well and Zoloft is not responding either 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/14/16 7:25 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Google "serotonin syndrome." Discontinuing cold turkey can make you VERY sick.

If you've been on medication long-term, going without "for good" increases health risks (including suicide) immensely. Don't have the citation at hand, I can dig it up though.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/14/16 7:49 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Compared to prior therapy, antidepressant discontinuation had a significant risk for suicide attempt. (Source)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

sunshinespring
on 10/14/16 1:44 pm - Bay Area, CA

Thank you for the information,

Gwen M.
on 10/14/16 7:27 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You should NOT quit an antidepressant cold turkey.  Did you talk to your doctor?  Did your doctor actually advise you to do that?!  If so, find a different doctor.  These meds should be tapered.  

I haven't taken an SSRI in 10+ years now.  Zoloft worked very well for me and I'm glad that I took it when I did, but these days I'm okay without it.  

Why did you quit Zoloft?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

sunshinespring
on 10/14/16 12:03 pm - Bay Area, CA

Yes I did go off Zoloft without knowing what could happen back in June and now I know what a horrible mistake that was! I was in bad shape for two months Yes thinking of the unthinkable, now I feel MUCH better my brain is actually responding better I am not sure if ta getting better from the antidepressants or my anemia is getting better 

that's why I am not sure wether to take another antidepresant now or not

sunshinespring
on 10/14/16 1:45 pm - Bay Area, CA

Thank you for the reply, are you currently taking anything after Zoloft?

Most Active