Extra Skin

-Flo-
on 12/20/16 5:19 pm
DS on 04/11/16

I'm only 29 and single. I don't think I could be confident with the extra skin when it comes to attracting a man. The major reason I had bariatric surgery was cosmetic, for me the health benefits are just a bonus. I may sound vain but it's real. 

Laura in Texas
on 12/24/16 6:31 am

I'm single, albeit a whole lot older, but I could not be confident with the skin, either, so you are definitely not alone. I fixed what I could afford and made peace with the rest.

You can get a plastic surgery consult at anytime and then go back when you are at goal or have maintained a certain amount of time. I had my first consult a few months before I reached goal and had my arms done a month after reaching goal (I did wait a long time after that to get my torso work done).

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

mute
on 12/21/16 5:07 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I've lost 233 pounds and the skin is not great. But I try not to let what I can cover easily enough bother me since not many people see that. My thighs are looking really bad but I can cover that with pants and skirts. My stomach - not good. Again no one ever sees that. 

What bothers me the most is my arms since that is the one part of me that people will see the most in the summer and spring. My skin there is really really bad. I'm saving up for the surgery currently, not sure if it will happen or not. In the meantime I wear a lot of wraps.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/23/16 5:17 pm
Have you tried a compression garments. I know they are not the most comfortable....but I have the same issue. I found that I can "tuck" my arm skin into the sleeves. It is not perfect, but it prevents some of the hanging. I will eventually get surgery-- but I'm not in a rush.....work is just too busy for me to take weeks off for recovery.

Scott
Lisa F.
on 12/23/16 12:13 pm
VSG on 06/06/16

I'm 70 down and have about 30 - 40 to go.  The skin is starting to really bother me too, but I made the decision to keep lifting and see where I am when I'm close to goal. I never thought I'd consider plastics but will definitely get my arms done. The stomach isn't bad and legs sound really extreme and I can live with the skin there, I think.

What bothers me is my ankles and lower legs. I've always had heavy ankles but fat has deposited there and I'm very self conscious about it. I also can't fit into boots - even wide calf ones. I've seen photos of this procedure but it does seem rare. Anyone have this problem? 

VSG DATE 6/6/16 | SW 280 | CW 198 | GW 175 | HEIGHT 5'8 | AGE 55

ORIGINAL GOAL WEIGHT OF 175 MET: 12/6/17 (18 MONTHS POST OP)

NEW GOAL: LOSE 20 LB RE-GAIN

Most Active