Extra Skin

(deactivated member)
on 12/17/16 4:20 pm
NYMom222
on 12/17/16 6:48 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Go for a plastic surgery consult, that will be the best way to tell where you are really at. Some of those lumps and bumps maybe skin and not as much fat as you think....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

-Flo-
on 12/17/16 6:52 pm
DS on 04/11/16

I thought for plastics you had to be at a stable weight for at least 6 months, otherwise you could ruin the results. I'm definitely anxious to get it done but I don't want to have to redo down the line. 

White Dove
on 12/17/16 7:39 pm - Warren, OH

I was told to be at a weight where I never intended to go over or under by more than 10 pounds.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Eggface
on 12/18/16 7:37 am - Sunny Southern, CA

You should be stable for a while but... I ended up losing 10 more pounds post plastics unintentionally. It happens. Without all the skin I guess my exercising was way more effective... IDK. Some areas are more affected than others... I lost it on my arms so need a little more removed now (one day, maybe) but panni is more forgiving... breasts if the tissue is very damaged (mine was) it will need 2 rounds regardless, especially if you want augmentation. 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 12/18/16 7:38 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I see no harm in getting the ball rolling soon after you reach goal weight.  It can take 6 months long from your first consult - do 2 -3 consults, get the money together and book it. Most ps are booking at least a month out.  

I did my first consult in Dec, about i year after my WLS surgery, and shortly after I was at goal wt.  I knew I wanted the arm lift - the other stuff  - I needed more research.  I did not have the body wor****il July - 7 months later (I did have facial PS in the spring, I should have waited - I jumped in too soon).

I think getting the initial consult was very helpful b/c I got a plan and knew what was possible and gave me more time to think about the actual surgical possibilities instead of just wondering/worrying what would be possible.  Knowing that I would not have to live forever with certain issues was a relief, even though I had a few months before I was really ready to go ahead.

Getting more than one consult was helpful because drs did have different approaches.  I did not like the shape of how one doctor did ALL of his breast lifts - they looked like VW bug headlights to me.  

The PS docs want good results - if it is too soon, they will tell you and develop the best plan for you.  You need a consult to get you out of your thinking and into dealing with the real possibilities.  Many dos will do a phone consult - mine did.  Then, after I understood his approach, I made an appointment to see him.

Good Luck 

Sharon

Cathy H.
on 12/17/16 8:31 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

A lot will depends on your ages as well.  When I lost a lot of weight before I was 35, with exercise my skin bounced back and I didn't have that much loose skin.  However, I gained it all back and then some, and carried it around for 20 years.  Now I'm almost 57, and as I lose, the skin looks more and more like I'm a 90 year old under all this lol.  As I look at myself though, I realize that if the trade-off for finally getting rid of the weight and being healthier, happier, and more mobile, I'll take the ugly, wrinkly, hanging skin any time.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to be able to have at least a panniculectomy, but after that, I'll just try to save up if I can for more.  Otherwise, I'll be fine, just get some great compression garments and try to look good IN my clothes lol

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Valerie G.
on 12/18/16 5:11 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I was bothered at first by my skin, however the shapers did make me feel more confident.  I gave up on bathing suits ever looking good on me.  Now I'm on the latter half of my 40's, and those once hard-bodies are starting to sag, so they are simply catching up with me and I'm already at peace with it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

karenp8
on 12/18/16 9:00 am - Brighton, IL

Yes I'm 57 and have come to terms with saggy skin. I exercise and my arms and legs are tolerable. The stomach--not so much. I know I will never be able to afford plastics as hubby is retired and I am on disability. I wear good shape wear and people can't tell I've lost 150 pounds with clothes on. When it bothers me I remind myself of how much better I feel and how much more active I can be now. I'll take the saggy Sharpei skin any day when I look at it that way.

TaffySaltwater
on 12/19/16 2:15 pm
VSG on 03/11/16

I'll be 62 next month and am learning to accept the saggy, baggy elephant skin.  I'm down 130 lbs. and want to lose another 30, maybe 40, pounds.  I'll gladly live with the skin if it means my quality of life has improved with each pound lost.

Most Active