Floppy intestines?

-Flo-
on 1/29/17 5:27 pm
DS on 04/11/16

I have been having some abdominal pain, and the CT scan showed inflammation. My doctor decided I needed an exploratory laparoscopy to rule out internal hernia and other scary things. So I had surgery on tuesday. He said there was some scar tissue causing the intestines to adhear to each other, so he freed them. But here is the weird thing, he said my mesenatry was very floppy and it is basically allowing my small intestines to flop around in there, which could be causing me pain. The mesentary should be tight and hold the intestines and internal organs in place. He said with my massive weight loss, it is loose now and things are shifting around. Have you ever heard of this before? He made a comment that I will have to keep a food journal and see if certain foods make it worse. I'm totally confused, how would food make a difference, doesn't he have to go in and tighten it up. I have a post op appointment next week to ask. Has this happened to any one?

Eggface
on 1/29/17 6:26 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Yes I have heard of it... well they didn't say floppy but a Dr explained to me was when the fat surrounding organs is gone they can shift slightly... intestines especially. I had said something once about a fluttery pain from time to time (not gas more like stitch after you run but a little lower) and that's what he shared. It doesn't/didn't affect me enough to pursue, only happens once in a blue... so sorry I can't say more about treatment. 

I hope it's easily resolved and you are feeling 100% soon.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

(deactivated member)
on 1/30/17 3:58 pm
RNY on 11/22/16

I am about 10 weeks out and I have been having some pain on my left side and occasionally right side. I would describe it like the above post, a stitch pain. It is sharp and then its gone. I was thinking maybe gas. When I unbutton my pants, the pain goes away. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. 

siberiancat
on 2/1/17 10:35 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I'm almost 8 years post RNY.  About 3 years ago I was doing yard work in the Spring and bending over a lot to pick up twigs.

That afternoon I had abdominal pain that progressively got worse and my abdomen bloated and was very extended.

I went to ER and found I had a bowel obstruction.  Small intestine got twisted in/around an adhesion (scar tissue).

The surgeon told me that with my massive weight loss, previous hysterectomy and ovaries gone - there was "room" in my abdomen for my small bowel to move about and all the bending might have rearranged my small intestine.

I don't know if that is true or not, but I don't do garden work bending over at the waist anymore!!

Just my experience.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active