Scared about RNY surgery 5/5/17

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/17 5:14 pm
RNY on 05/05/07

I'm a little scared about having my surgery in a few months 11 weeks exactly . I know I need it,  im 360 lbs the highest I've ever been in my life. I'm just afraid that something might happen to me. I have 3 small kids and worry about them.  Any tips to calm my nerves? 

CupcakeQueen
on 2/17/17 5:47 pm - Rosharon, Tx

Hi there! It's only normal to feel nervous but remember why you are doing it, not only your health but your kids. Wishing you a speedy recovery. 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/17/17 5:56 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I was 347 when I had my RNY.  I was terrified.  I was afraid that I would die and leave my son without a mother.

Then I realized: I was killing myself and leaving my son without a mother by continuing the way I was.  You don't see a lot of 80+ year old morbidly obese people.  You don't see a lot of 70 year old ones, either... 60 might even be pushing it.

It's really scary to make such a huge change.  I am thankful every day that I did.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/17 6:27 pm
RNY on 05/05/07

Thanks for answering back, youre 100% right. I keep telling myself that. I'm just so afraid of chickening out since it's so far off. I wi**** was scheduled sooner. This way it would give my mind and my tablet less time to scare me. I keep researching things I shouldn't that will just discourage me. I'm so tired of being fat . It's literally slowing me down. I can barely fit in the auditorium seats at my kids schools. I feel so embarrassed and ashamed that I let myself get so bad. I was once such a fox lol in my younger days and just want to go back to that. I want to be healthy, I want to have a better family life with my husband and kids. I have to do this for them and me. My heart is 100% in just my mind keeps swaying me. So I just have to tell my mind to relax and think about all I'll gain when I loose. 

dagosson
on 2/17/17 6:48 pm

Write down (on paper and have that paper with you) what your biggest concerns are and discuss those with your bariatric office. Ask any question that is worrying you, -no- question is stupid, no concern is stupid, unless you don't ask it! The surgical team does not mind an engaged patient, trust me. They will be able to answer your questions and help you to understand the process, and allow you to feel more comfortable with your decision. You are making this decision to improve your health, and your mobility :)

and it is very normal to be anxious. I was an operating room nurse for 7 years, had a surgeon that I worked with during that time and was able to select my anesthesia team, knew the nursing team and even was familiar with the actual operating room/ recovery room that I was in. 

My blood pressure in the pre anesthesia room? 190/90, a full 70 points higher than I usually get, lol

I do not regret getting my RNY at all :)

RNY 9/28/16 at Highland Hospital with Dr O'Malley

Bonkerz1
on 2/18/17 1:06 am
VSG on 06/12/16

I am 10 weeks post surgery and like you I was worried. Leading up to my date I had written all the positive things about surgery and had them on my wall to read every day. I meditated and kept busy and when the doubts came in I'd look at my list. Nerves are normal. Your surgery team are professionals and have the skills To react to any situation. Trust them. I'm 40 pounds down and have no regrets. This site is very encouraging and answered all my questions. Best wishes. 

seattledeb
on 2/18/17 2:18 am

So do some things that help your chances of having a successful surgery.

Do you smoke? If so quitting would really help.

Google breathing exercises. Most are done with GIFS. The point is to learn how to deep breath from your abdomen. It will help you not to develop pneumonia. It's also a anxiety reducer.

Do you have other health issues? Anything you need to take care of before surgery?

You can always find the negative. Keep researching. Listen to people that have had surgery and have successfully kept the weight off. The first year is a honeymoon. You will lose weight. It will be rapid. You will not be able to fit in any of your clothes. Maybe do some shopping..learn where the consignment and thrift stores are in your area.

I think fear is good. This is permanent. My best advice keep asking questions. The first 18 months or until you meet your goal be compliant. That means a protein forward diet. That means severely limiting carbs. Read the daily menu threads. Believe it or not the surgery is the easy part.

You are buying years more with your kids as a parent who can be present and active with them.

Best of luck to you Frumpopolis. Great ID btw.

Deb

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/17 11:35 am
RNY on 05/05/07

Thanks for your advice ? Frumpopolis is a AOL throw back. Since I want to be my former self I figured I start back at the beginning.

Eggface
on 2/18/17 5:28 am - Sunny Southern, CA

I was scared too but at some point I said I am happy with my surgeon's skill level and I know I will do everything I am told. The (American College of Surgeons) stats on mortality are SUPER LOW 0.10% & in-line with other common surgeries c-sections, appendectomy, gallbladder removal. Obesity is the 2nd leading cause of preventable death in the US (CDC) and leads to many of the other causes of death on the list. The 2 best diet programs (WW & JC) result in 3% to 5% sustained weight loss after 1 year. Weight loss surgery will lead to 60 to 80% of excess weight loss. If you are 100+ pounds and have any health issues it's not feasible (not impossible but more like "results not typical") without surgical assistance. 

Do what you can to minimize risk: follow instructions, ask questions when you need to. The 2 leading causes of readmittance in the first 30 days post-op are infection (follow would care instructions) and dehydration (sip your water every chance you get.) 

Your kiddos will gain a more active Mom, modeling healthy choices and that will help them. 

It was truly the best gift I ever gave myself. I hope you will feel the same. 

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/04/for-p re-ops.html ideas to pass the time.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

seattledeb
on 2/18/17 2:17 pm

I thought of you while eating egg bites at Starbucks yesterday. I of course liked the meaty higher calories ones but it's a whole lot better than the alternatives.

I came home and looked up your eggbite recipes. I'm making ham and asparagus  ones this weekend. 

Thanks Shelly!

Most Active