Best uses for turkey?

Renee C.
on 2/22/17 4:04 pm - Bellevue, WA
Revision on 02/01/17

We make a spicy turkey meatloaf with it.  Needs extra fat though because it can be quite dry unless mixed with ground beef or some other meat that has higher fat content.  Bacon works!  

Band removal & RNY Feb 1 2017

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/22/17 7:08 pm

Turkey is often lean, so adding fat or mixing it with other ground meat can work well. 

Meatloaf (but I would make that 50-50 mix with beef)  meatballs, taco meat, keema (Kerman) (Indian dish), stuffed peppers , stuffed cabbage rolls (mix turkey and pork)  spaghetti sauce.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

mute
on 2/22/17 7:57 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

Ooh we have a recipe for inside out egg rolls in the IP that I'm sure could be made with ground turkey instead of ground beef. 

It's my favorite recipe!

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/22/17 9:38 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Turkey tacos minus the shell. Add taco seasoning to the meat and serve over your favorite lettuce with cheese on top. I love butter lettuce myself.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Dcgirl
on 2/23/17 7:02 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I didn't realize that people don't like ground turkey!  (looking at above posts)

I don't eat red meat (just a preference) so I use ground turkey at least once a week.  I much prefer the 94% kind and not the 99% kind.  

Some of these are echoing previous suggestions but hey, here are a few recipes:

1. Turkey chili (obviously) 
  2. Turkey spaghetti sauce - brown the turkey, then add italian seasoning, oregano, basil, your favorite sauce
  3. Turkey tacos - use taco seasoning or create your own spice mix
  4. PF Changs lettuce wraps (sometimes I use ground chicken) which has soy sauce, hoisin, water chestnuts, garlic, ginger, green onions
  5. Any variety of meatloafs - sometimes I use a little bit of bread crumbs, egg, ketchup, sauteed onion and/or green pepper; sometimes I use a little bit of bread crumbs, egg, shredded Mexican cheese, cumin, green chilies from a can, sauteed onion and/or green pepper; sometimes I use Greek seasoning, feta cheese, black olives!
  6. I recently made sloppy joes and they were phenomenal!  They have sugar (brown sugar, ketchup) in them, but not being newly post-op, I can eat more "normal" food like that in moderation
  7. Sriracha turkey burgers - just salt and pepper the turkey patties, then add pepper jack cheese, sriracha and avocado - yum!
  8. Turkey enchilada skillet with corn and green chilies and lots of melted cheese
  9. I also do stir fries with ground turkey, some Asian-ish style of sauce, some snow peas or green beans, and your hubby can have it over rice (you can too, of course, I just projectile vomit from rice so I steer clear!)

Hmmm, now I am definitely making something with ground turkey for dinner!

ILoveFlowers
on 2/23/17 8:00 am

I have a very picky husband *****fuses to eat turkey meat at all.  That being said, if you add beef stock, broth, or low sodium bullion cubes to ground turkey, no one knows it's not ground beef.  My very picky husband included.  Just cook as you would any other ground beef dish.  It's really good cooked with bell peppers and onions.  Since we live in Texas, I use it all the time in Mexican food.  It's particularly good in an Enchilada casserole with enchilada sauce, corn tortillas, and cheese. 

Steph Meat Hag
on 2/23/17 2:01 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Ground turkey for me is good in tacos.  It picks up taco seasoning flavor really well, you can then make taco type things.  I pile the turkey in a bowl and add some olives, cheese, and some sour cream and boom tasty.  

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Most Active