Discriminatory hiring against obese?

mute
on 2/23/17 2:53 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

Good for him!!! 

I felt good that I went straight to my manager and said something but I feel ****ty that I can't do anything else about it. I flat out told her that I feel it is blatant discrimination when I look at our population and a massive majority is very young (I'm on the old end at 34), and very fit. The parent company is Japanese so we are very culturally diverse and I think that makes the managers feel that we are good across the board. 

So frustrating.

Grim_Traveller
on 2/23/17 2:43 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It's a load of crap. Do your best to make sure the most qualified person is hired. But that's all you can do.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/23/17 2:49 pm

It's absolutely discriminatory. As you say, he isn't a marathoner. I doubt his weight wouldn't allow him to lift a tower or crawl under a desk. I could do that at 300+ pounds.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/23/17 4:19 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

You're not crazy & I think its discriminatory, companies do this all the time, its just that most times they don't get caught.  It sucks when there's nothing you can do about it.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Idreamofforeverhealthy
on 2/23/17 4:55 pm
VSG on 02/01/17

Wow!  That's so upsetting. Sounds like a load of bull to me. It truly is one the the last "acceptable" forms of discrimination.

Rachel 

I had a VSG 2/1/17.

Beam me up Scottie
on 2/23/17 4:59 pm
Nope, discrimination is totally accepted in the business world. I do diversity training for HR managers and have had the most ridiculous questions from the people that are suppose to know employment laws!!! PHRs and SPHRs!!!

So the fact that a person that is not the HR manager says something like that would lead me to believe you should organize training for your company. Yeah- totally get that the applicant can't "prove" that he wasn't hired because he was fat- however, if someone in your company at any point in time gets pissed off they could become a whistleblower.

Eggface
on 2/23/17 5:24 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

You are definitely not crazy and it was discriminatory IMHO and sadly it happens A LOT. There is no federal law explicitly prohibiting obesity discrimination (Michigan prohibits discrimination based on weight and I believe San Francisco city policy prohibits it) and while obesity is a disease, the ADA doesn't specifically address obesity... so court cases have had pretty mixed results. More successful have been brought by those already hired when they have been passed over for positions or reasonable accommodations haven't been made, etc. 

It sucks.

The Obesity Action Coalition (OAC) is a great group that fights weight bias... www.obesityaction.org I'm a proud member of it... they do a bunch of stuff advocacy work, create educational materials, host a patient event, etc.

Anyway... they have produced a few brochures about weight bias in the workplace (free) and they will even mail them in quantity to people (free)

http://www.obesityaction.org/wp-content/uploads/Weight-Bias- in-the-Workplace.pdf

http://www.obesityaction.org/weight-bias-and-stigma/understa nding-obesity-stigma-brochure  

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Highfunctioningfatman
on 2/23/17 6:06 pm
VSG on 08/29/16

I will admit that I discriminate when I hire. I intentionally look for employees that are age 40 and older because the work ethic of the younger generation sucks. Wow, I just realized that I have been hiring at this company since I was 27, I'm now 38 and that magic number of 40 hasn't changed in my head. Now I'm almost to the point where I would want to hire myself! 

crqvingchange
on 2/23/17 6:59 pm

This is so wrong, if he is the most qualified he should get the job.  He didn't commit a crime, he's looking for work, he has done nothing wrong, but he is being judged for his weight.  Mute, you did all you could and you are right, this sucks.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

ladygodiva1228
on 2/23/17 9:15 am, edited 2/23/17 10:23 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I WAS an IT person, and I was 300+ pounds and 5'4" tall so about as big around as I was tall (only 5'3" now, I've shrunk!).  It wasn't fun, but I pulled cable, carried servers and PC towers, crawled under desks and everything else.  So if the guy has an IT background he can probably do all those things.  Unfortunately, if there is an equally qualified person who is thinner, they'll get the job.  I lost jobs because of my size...no proof but scuttlebutt said so.  I also GOT a part-time job once because I was big...at a plus-size clothing store lol.

Not sure how this got put in under my username, but I was never in IT and I am 5'7".  OH Mods what's going on?  Is there a hacker out there?

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Most Active