Medically Supervised Diet- Newbie Here!

cicis_journey
on 3/29/17 1:53 pm

Hi all! Newbie here! My insurance company requires the standard 6 month medically supervised diet before they will approve me for my WLS. I don't attend my first info session for my surgeon until Monday and of course I am totally impatient and am looking for answers right now-- I know I need to get over this impatience :-) Anyways, who monitors your diet is it your surgeon and their team or is it your primary care physician? If it's your primary care physician can you start the diet process before you get into your initial process with your surgeon?

I have SO many questions! But I am trying to utilize the search function first --- thank you!!

Cici

White Dove
on 3/29/17 2:32 pm - Warren, OH

For me, it was my surgeon's dietitian. Your surgeon might be different. Why not call and ask?

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

cicis_journey
on 3/29/17 2:58 pm
Great idea I didn't even think of that!!
Readyjwc
on 3/29/17 3:06 pm, edited 3/29/17 8:06 am
VSG on 01/05/17

The nutritionist at my surgeon's office weighed me in after I had attended the first informational session (had to attend that first).

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

califsleevin
on 3/29/17 3:31 pm - CA

It can be either, depending upon what specific rules your insurance company has. I used my PCP on a somewhat self-directed but officially physician supervised program. We (wife and I) started the program long before we checked in officially with the surgeon, though we were attending their support group seminars throughout the process.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

catwoman7
on 3/29/17 5:34 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

it depends on your insurance. Mine required a six-month supervised diet within the last two years. It had to be with a physician or registered dietitian, and I had to meet with them at least once a month. I used a dietitian. She kept all the records and monitored my progress.

I had to change insurance policies because my original policy didn't cover WLS. In spring or summer of 2014, I decided for sure I was going to have the surgery. I couldn't switch over to the new insurance policy until January 2015, so I did my six-month supervised diet in the mean time. So once I started the process with the surgeon in Jan 2015, I already had my supervised diet behind me.

but like others said, check with your insurance company - they're all different.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

BlueCanary
on 4/1/17 1:06 pm

I am finding myself in this exact situation. Stupid, stupid me did a doctor supervised diet fall of 2015. My insurance changed & doesn't cover WLS. So now I have to enroll in fall of this year & coverage will start Jan 2018. Maths. My previous diet will not count!!! I wish I had had my epiphany sooner.

BlueCanary

Ht 5'4"

Current weight 315

BMI 54.1

Hoping for surgery in 2018

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 3/30/17 3:33 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

As stated, your insurance company will have rules about who can supervise the weight loss and how often you must be seen, so call and get that information from them directly. I too had to have 6 months of "medically supervised" weight loss visits. They had to be with a Dr, and there had to be notes proving that we discussed my weight (even if I didn't lose weight). The visits had to be at least a month apart, but could be anytime in the last 2 years. That last stipulation allowed me to only need 4 months supervised by my WL surgeon (insurance counted 2 prior visits with my PCP).

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Most Active