Anesthesia at 450lbs?

RNY on 12/22/14

Sometimes the higher wt argues for VSG which is a 30-60 min surgery rather than 2-3 hours for the RNY (average times). The length of time you are under anesthesia is a complicating factor. The VSG was designed as a phase 1 of a 2 phase DS operation for people who were to heavy to tolerate the loner procedures, but the VSG was so successful on its own that it is now usually done for its own merits, not as a first step to a DS. If you find out the you need the DS, you can go from VSG to DS usually laparospically but from RNY to DS is often open surgery.

Sharon

Donna L.
on 6/1/17 4:10 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I had surgery at over 600 pounds for 3 hours. Yeah, it complicates stuff, but it doesn't prohibit longer procedures. Here are the University of Chicago they routinely do a full laparascopic DS on people with very high weights - Dr. Prachand has operated on hundreds of these patients. Even with a virgin DS it's possible these days. Surgical technology has changed drastically, and skilled surgeons with many procedures are more likely to do it.

I've actually worked with many who have had a lap RNY to DS at 300+ pounds, so there are doctors who do it. It's why for the DS it is preferable for us to shop around.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active