Heart Issue After Weight Loss?!?!?

reree6898
on 8/15/17 12:46 pm - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

So I have a question, has anyone started having heart issues after losing the weight? I am getting close to being two years out from surgery and I have surpassed my surgeons goal weight. A few months ago I started noticing that I was having kinda a weird heartbeat here and there and then it started to get more frequent. I went to my regular doctor who then sent me on to a cardiologist to get checked out. He sent me to do a Calcium Score test to determine if I have any blockages in the artery's and a Echocardiogram. I went today for my follow up with him to get the results and he said that the calcium score was a 0 which is great and means zero blockage in the artery's. He said that the echo showed that my heart function is not as high as it should be though and that the measure should be between 50 & 60 and mine is showing at 40 so he wants to put me on some beta blocker that sounds like it has all kinds of possible scary side effects and then go do a Cardiac MRI just to get a better look. He told me that sometimes the hormones that affect the heart's pumping ability can get messed up with drastic weight loss. So, here I am in shock because I have done this to be healthy and live a long life and now I am dealing with this. Anyone else ever hear of this or go through this?

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

FluffyChix
on 8/15/17 12:51 pm

Have you had your vitamins tested lately? Specifically your B vitamins and B1?

reree6898
on 8/15/17 12:53 pm - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

Yep, all in normal ranges.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

FluffyChix
on 8/15/17 1:12 pm

Ok. Was hoping that might hit the nail on the head.((hugs)) So sorry that they found this and wish I had practical information for you. I'm praying that a vet will be able to come to your rescue and say, "Oh, no worries! It's xyz..." So scary, hon!

This JUST happened to me! I haven't had surgery yet, but I went in for skipped beats and fluid in my ankles/feet. They found I have a little fluid around my heart and that my ejection fraction is very low normal (I can't remember, maybe 45-50?). And I had been doing a very low calorie diet without using vitamins, and had had a crap diet for about 9 months before that. Turns out I'm very low in B1 (around 40), and also low in Vit A. We don't know if that is the cause of the heart issues or not. Low B1 can cause all of the things you describe. But the cardio guy also thinks that my fluid around the heart is from chemo/radiation. So they will retest in 2 months to see where I am on B1 and will retake the Echo. I am now supplementing with extra B1 plus multis, etc.

reree6898
on 8/16/17 6:15 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

Thanks. I was hoping when I went in yesterday that he was going to just say I was off on a vitamin level. I hope all goes well with you.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Cathy H.
on 8/15/17 1:11 pm, edited 8/15/17 7:14 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Hmm. I'm no doctor, but I wonder if the problems aren't related to being SMO for a long time. I don't know your history, but I was SMO for 30+ years, and I know it had a damaging effect on my heart, due to how much it had to overwork to keep that body going.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

reree6898
on 8/15/17 1:48 pm - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

Yeah, I don't know. I was obese for my whole life, I was even 10 pounds 4 ounces at birth, my mom said I looked 3 months old compared to the rest of the babies in the newborn nursery. Since losing the weight over the last two years this is the first time I have ever been "normal or average" sized.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/15/17 1:12 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Losing weight after surgery doesn't make us immune to other health problems. While it can certainly reduce our risks, we're still prone to random other health issues popping up.

What side effects are you worried about with regards to the beta blockers? I was on them briefly for psychiatric reasons, and my doctor assured me that they were quite safe. I'm happy to see if I can dig up any research for you.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

reree6898
on 8/15/17 1:56 pm - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

I know that other health issues can and do arise if we have had surgery or not. I hope my original post didn't sound like I was blaming the surgery for this. I am forever grateful for the surgery and the improvements to my life that have occurred since then.

I tend to be a bit of a research nut myself and haven't had time to look a whole lot yet because I was just at the doctor this morning then had to come into work but in the few minutes that I had the possible side effects are things like dizziness, tiredness, joint pain, cough, weight gain, etc. and if you suddenly stop taking it, it could cause heart attack. My main concern is that it lowers blood pressure and heart rate and my primary doctor originally sent me to the cardiologist because she didn't want to put me on a med like this because my heart rate is on the low end of normal as it is and my blood pressure is like 110/60 so pretty low as well.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

rocky513
on 8/15/17 4:06 pm - WI

What are your ferritin numbers? When my ferritin gets low I get irregular and rapid heart rate. Low iron will mess with heart rhythm. I get symptomatic when my ferritin gets below 50.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Most Active