The sparks were flying on "The Doctor's", plant based eating vs Meat/Dairy/Fish

Kathy S.
on 10/30/17 2:39 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I watched a recorded episode of the Doctors this weekend while covering the event and the sparks were flying. They were discussing NetFlix's Documentary "What The Health".

Plant based eating vs Meat/Dairy/Fish...... Check it out and weigh in, what do you think?

https://www.thedoctorstv.com/articles/4440-what-s-the-truth- with-the-documentary-what-the-health

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/30/17 4:09 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

"What the Health" is flat-out propaganda. The science behind it-- what little there is-- is NOT good.

Good summary: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/what-the-health-a-movie-wit h-an-agenda/

A few highlights, thanks to science:

• No, hot dogs are NOT as dangerous as cigarettes.
  • A recent study only attributed ~5% of cardiovascular-/diabetes-related deaths to processed meats. (Source)
  • The link between processed meats and diabetes is far lower (19% risk) than the movie suggests (51%). (Source)
  • There is no link between increased prostate cancer risk and chicken consumption.

Other outrageous claims include:

• Mad cow disease is killing Americans and the government is covering it up
  • Pollution is higher because of African-American population density
  • Meat eating causes brain damage that's mis-diagnosed as Alzheimer's
  • "Big pharma" wants to keep people sick
  • Veganism cures RA
  • Only 5 - 10% of cancer has genetic causes

Yes, research says that eating less processed meat is probably good for your health in general. But it's not nearly as dangerous as these proponents' veg*n agenda makes it out to be.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

CC C.
on 10/30/17 6:03 pm

This is helpful, Julie! A friend's partner wants to be vegan after watching this. My opinion is that veganism can be a valid choice, but the reasons he uses to make that choice need to be based on accurate facts, not false propaganda voiced by groups with an agenda.

Lina_Ann
on 10/30/17 4:18 pm

I agree with some of it. Some of the claims are ridiculous though. I plan on going vegan when I recover from surgery. Dairy makes me very sick, I'm allergic to egg, and no appetite for meat.

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

Gina 21 Years Out
on 10/31/17 4:57 am - Burleson, TX

I have mixed feelings, regarding the subject matter, but I have the utmost respect for Dr Garth Davis. I wish he had been given more opportunity to speak/explain. Obviously it's Travis and Drew's show, so they were able to express their views more, and have the last words.

I can't see ME ever giving up meat, but the information was interesting

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/31/17 10:10 am

Yea. I tried it all.

App 20 years ago I wanted to lose 40 lbs, and feel better. I went to a naturopath. I become a vegetarian, in 3 months I gained 20 lbs, instead of losing. Plus - I had so much gas and indigestion. OMG. After that, she suggested that I need to be a vegan - that the dairy and eggs were still not good for me. I gave it 3 months... I gained another 20 lbs. Plus I was always hungry, and cold, and tired. My hair started falling out, I also became anemic - even though I supplemented with "vegan" iron supplement.

The 5-6 months experiment caused a lot of damage to my body. Not only I did not lose weight - because of so many carbs and soy - I gained 40 lbs. I was younger and stupid. The lady was telling me that the gain was just temporary as my body is adapting, and that once we go through healing crises - I will lose that plus more.

I had no energy, I almost damaged my thyroid (it took me a year of soy free diet to improve my thyroid function). Lesson learned.

BTW: there is more and more studies that keto style diet (not really vegan) can help with reversing diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol, autoimmune condition, etc. etc. etc.

As for vegan diet - plant based diet can be really hard to digest. High protein plants (beans ) are also high in carbohydrates and are not a complete source of proteins. Plants have lectins - proteins that in small qty and properly prepared can be helpful - or harmful. Some people (like me ) are more sensitive to lectins. They are more harmful to me that meat or eggs are.

quoted:

Digestion and immune distress[edit]

Foods with high concentrations of lectins, such as beans, cereal grains, seeds, nuts, and potatoes, may be harmful if consumed in excess in uncooked or improperly-cooked form. Adverse effects may include nutritional deficiencies, and immune (allergic) reactions.[17] Possibly, most effects of lectins are due to gastrointestinal distress through interaction of the lectins with the epithelial cells of the gut.

Lectins are considered a major family of protein antinutrients (ANCs), which are specific sugar-binding proteins exhibiting reversible carbohydrate-binding activities. Lectins are similar to antibodies in their ability to agglutinate red blood cells.

The toxicity of lectins has been identified by consumption of food with high lectin content, which may lead to diarrhea, nausea, bloating, and vomiting.

Many legume seeds have been proven to contain high lectin activity, termed hemagglutinating activity. Soybean is the most important grain legume crop in this category. Its seeds contain high activity of soybean lectins (soybean agglutinin or SBA). SBA is able to disrupt small intestinal metabolism and damage small intestinal villi via the ability of lectins to bind with brush border surfaces in the distal part of small intestine.[citation needed]

Heat processing can reduce the toxicity of lectins, but low temperature or insufficient cooking may not completely eliminate their toxicity, as some plant lectins are resistant to heat.

Lectin and leptin resistance[edit]

Lectin may cause leptin resistance, affecting its functions (signal have high levels of leptin and several effects gathering to protect from lipid overload), as indicated by studies on effects of single nucleotide polymorphisms on the function of leptin and the leptin receptor.[18] Such leptin resistance may translate into diseases, notably it could be responsible for obesity in humans who have high levels of leptin.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active