Staying active on the forums

(deactivated member)
on 10/31/17 10:43 am

When I started the weight loss process over four years ago I was scared. I was afraid of not only of changing but of just doing things in life.

I know a lot of you know my story. Well I am not going to go into detail of it. Since I feel like it is ground hogs day all over again.

Coming here four years ago saved me. I will admit I deleted my account since I got pissed off at what someone wrote. But you know what the part of what they wrote was true.

Not that we have to take abuse. But people truly want to help. They don't want us to make mistakes that others have made. Or they know first hand how things can happen in life.

I mean in the long run no one wants to hear about WLS failures. When we tell people who don't know we had it we sometimes get the whole story of how someone messed up and stopped taking care of themselves. It sucks to hear the stories. I don't consider myself a WLS failure. I also don't consider myself first time winner at this.

Daily I have to work through demons in my head. It is so easy to fall back on bad habits. With the Holidays approaching it can be downright scary for the person who had just had surgery. But you know what we ate regardless of what day it was.

I ruined last Christmas. I shouldn't say ruined. I will say I didn't enjoy myself. It was my first year in sobriety. I was terrified since I never had a holiday without a drink. But this past year I know it really didn't matter what kind of day it was there was always a reason to drink. It could be sunny rainy or just a good day for a drink.

I associate that now with food. It is not easy to change but it is possible.

I know for me coming here posting and reading and reaching out for help has made me grow as a person. Even with all of my labels I have

I am learning to live and love myself.

So if you are scared or even mad. Just come and ask.

We are not that bad of a group of people. We all are connected by one thing that is wanting to learn to live a healthy and happy life.

Kathy S.
on 10/31/17 1:00 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I agree with you 100% about posting on a regular basis. I lurked for months and when I finally got up the nerve to post I was attacked BIG TIME. I remember it was not even weight surgery related. It was about politics. I never ran away or deleted my account but it took me awhile to post again.

Fast forward 13 years later and we are besties on FB and swap pics of the grandsons.

We all need a good balance of hugs and kicks in the butts to get to goal and stay there!

Image result for hug gif Image result for kick in the butt gif

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Grim_Traveller
on 11/1/17 8:05 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Today only, my butt kickings are 50% off.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/17 8:56 am
VSG on 03/28/17

omg good, because I really need one.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/1/17 9:17 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/31/17 1:23 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

You are definitely not a failure! But it worries me sometimes to see so many other posters here who are POTENTIAL failures. Whether they're deliberately ignoring doctors' advice or simply being careless, it's frustrating to see.

Apparently pointing out issues and providing evidence makes me "judgy and negative" or someone who wants to ruin the forum and run off all the newbies...

You're 100% right that people really do want to help!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 10/31/17 1:27 pm

I don't consider myself as a failure. I do consider myself in recovery for food addiction.

I totally get the worried about others.

seattledeb
on 10/31/17 4:25 pm

Your posts help me and help you. WIN/WIN I say!

People on the reading side miss a lot of the good stuff.

Can I just whine about being theatre mom? 3 more weeks.

rocky513
on 10/31/17 5:34 pm - WI

Excellent post!

I would add that newbies should try not to block anyone, even if someone hurts your feelings. Most people on these boards truly want you to succeed. You may be blocking that one person that has the answer you are searching for. Put on your "big girl panties" and deal with the constructive criticism. There is a right way and a wrong way to live after surgery. I would rather take a little tough love and learn from someone who has lived the WLS and is successful than have my hand patted by someone who wants me to feel good but knows nothing. Pay attention to those who have lost a ton of weight and have maintained that loss. They know what works. Personalities matter very little if you can learn from that person and be successful. This is the internet. Learn what you can and disregard the rest.

The more people you block, the slower the boards are for you, and there are fewer people to get advice from. If you want answers, good advice, and success, keep your mind open and your fingers off the block button.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Grim_Traveller
on 11/1/17 8:08 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Amen!

There was someone who posted just a day or two ago who complained how slow the boards are since last being here. That's because they blocked half of the regular posters!

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active