Lina_Ann
on 12/5/17 5:52 pm

Yes. Funny. *Bariatric

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

Patm
on 12/4/17 6:37 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

There is a good reason for the whole process in Canada. I realise you think you are ready for this change but keep in mind it id a lifestyle change. Also with the centres in Canada you will have follow-up and people to go to with problems. You have a team of people to folow up with not just a surgeon you will never see again

White Dove
on 12/4/17 10:10 am - Warren, OH

Those are positives, the one to five year wait are negatives.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Eggface
on 12/4/17 10:22 am - Sunny Southern, CA

There is also no scientific evidence to support the practice of insurance (or government) mandated preoperative weight loss programs or waiting periods... in fact, there is evidence people get sicker and that makes surgery riskier. The timing of surgery or requirements prior to need to be decisions between doctors and patients not insurance or governments IMHO.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Patm
on 12/4/17 3:09 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

The program I went through had nothing to do with a weight loss program. It had a lot to do with going through programs to make sure I was prepared for the changes. I see many people who jump into wls without thinking through the long term lifestyle changes.

I was in my 60's with many commodities but am very happy I did the program which set me up for success.

Eggface
on 12/5/17 1:57 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Yep, programs utilize the time wisely for sure thank goodness... but I maintain that the decision should be between a doctor & patient... insurance and/or governments deciding when someone is treated or how is my issue. It's rooted in weight bias/discrimination... no other surgery for a chronic disease requires hoops. It's arbitrary (some 6, some 12) and wrong.

Glad you have been successful!

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Queensley
on 12/4/17 2:37 pm - Canada

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I would definitely prefer to do it in Canada, without a doubt. I am currently looking into self-pay but it would mean a trip cross-country with the $19 000 + tax procedure. Definitely very pricey so there is a lot to think about. My fiance and I are currently doing up expenses for both Mexico and Canada, and if the difference isn't outrageous, I may stay here. I would ultimately like to do it through Alberta Health, but the waitlist for WLS here is currently 7-10 years. How crazy is that?

Patm
on 12/4/17 3:14 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Sorry I did not realise it was so delayed in Alberta. Ontario has moved ahead with a program in many hospitals .

NEECEY
on 12/4/17 8:51 am - East St Louis, IL

Hi

My best friend decided to get her surgery in Mexico 2 years ago. The surgery center picked us up at the Airport and took us to the 5 star hotel that they use as an Outpatient Facility. We registered at the hotel, left our bags in the room and the shuttle immediately took the group to the Surgery Center. They gave the group an orientation and answered all questions and began to do the surgeries....kinda like a production line. One by one everyone went into surgery, had their procedures and the shuttles took everyone to the hotel to finish recovery. The Hotel was super NICE and Luxurious. The Nurses came to the rooms to do their blood work, give fluids, change dressings, etc. The same as they would in a hospital, except no Hospital. The hotel was also on the Strip, so you could do your walking while shopping and site seeing. Your guests could dine at the restaurant at the hotel or on the strip.

Fast Forward..... My best friend began to have problems Pooping about 1 after surgery. She had to have another surgery to repair the blockage. The Blockage was caused by the Mexican Surgeon who apparently did a SLOPPY Job. Inside, she was MANGLED and the stitching job was TERRIBLE. The poor surgery job could eventually kill her because of not being able to poop.

Most Active