How long off work?

MJSpencer
on 1/2/18 5:05 am
VSG on 03/29/18

I was wondering how long people take off when you have a manual job. I am having a hernia repair and the sleeve done at the same time. Part of my job involves unpacking pallets of heavy stock I was thinking 5 to 6 weeks. I also want to use the time as a readjustment and focus period of the change I am making. I have plenty of leave so no issues there.

seattledeb
on 1/2/18 5:20 am

I would agree. My hernia repair was more painful and took much longer to recover from.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery.

Gwen M.
on 1/2/18 6:07 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Most of us have lifting/exercise restrictions for 4-6 weeks, so I think your plan sounds good!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/18 7:54 am
VSG on 01/12/17

That sounds like enough time but please be careful when you do go back to work. Use proper lifting techniques and maybe a belt for your hernia repair

Valerie G.
on 1/2/18 9:28 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The general rule is no more than 8 lbs for 8 weeks for lifting/pushing/pulling - you get it. If your job requires this kind of weight, keep that in mind as you schedule time off. Being that you're also repairing a hernia, though, they may put you out longer because hernias are often caused by lifting/pushing/pulling something heavy and the last thing you want is to re-injure yourself before you're completely healed.

Now, on the general front of recovery without hernia repair, I can report that it was a good six weeks before I felt like myself again. Fortunately I was off for 8 weeks, total.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/18 9:50 am
VSG on 10/11/16

I have a very physically demanding occupation, running my own business. The doc told me to plan on eight weeks recovery so as not to bust a gut. I followed his advice closely, and did not do any real lifting or moving of materials or machinery until I was cleared by the people at my practice. I am back to doing what I used to, and have been pretty much since those eight weeks were up. It took me a little while to get back to full strength, but it wasn't too bad

To give you an idea, I move stuff that weighs up to 400 lbs or so on my own - not lifting it, mind you, but horsing it around to where it can be used as it needs to be.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/2/18 10:27 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If you can get 6 weeks, it would probably be a good idea to take it. Ask your surgeon before surgery about your lifting restrictions; many people aren't cleared to lift more than 5lb before the 6- or 8-week mark.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Lina_Ann
on 1/2/18 12:14 pm

I agree with above. Make sure to get lots of protein in after surgery so you can heal well! :)

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

Shannon S.
on 1/2/18 5:48 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

My surgeon gives 6 weeks but will let his patients go back to work depending on how good they are doing. He wanted to know I was drinking, getting in my protein, and that I was off the pain meds. I was released to go back after 4 weeks, but with lifting restrictions for the remainder 2 weeks. No more than 5 lb for the 1st 4 weeks, then they increased it to 10 lbs. He also said no bending at the waste for a 6 week duration. I have a desk job so I was okay.

Cosmos2112
on 1/2/18 6:40 pm

I took six weeks off, but wish I could have had a few more days.

RNY 12/22/2016. HW 228. SW 224. CW 122

Dr. Aviv Ben-Meir. Lake West Medical Center, Willoughby OH

Most Active