Heart Health after WLS question

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/18 8:12 am
VSG on 01/12/17

Hey friends! It's been awhile since I've made a post since now I just stick to lurking (my free time, I miss it :( ) I've had a few health concerns pop up though and was curious if any of you had them after large amounts of weight loss. I fainted at work on Valentine's day and they had to ambulance me to the hospital. Part of it was not enough water, but the largest part was that my heart rate was very slow. It was about 50 bpm in the er, and when I went for my follow up to be cleared for work I was at a resting rate of 42 bpm with a very low BP. She said it was really only a heart rate you maybe find in highly conditioned athletes. Now, I am no highly conditioned athlete and am booking an appointment with a cardiologist for a work up on my heart. I don't take any medicine anymore. Nothing for BP, or even anything for my depression and anxiety, I am completely pill free so I know it can't be a medication.

Have any of you had something similar? Could it be that my body has changed so much within a year that has drastically slowed my heart rate and lowered my BP so much? I run about 100/68. No matter the answer here I still have an appointment to see my cardiologist, but I was just curious if this happens with lots of weight loss.

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/18 9:20 am
VSG on 03/28/17

I'm sorry you are going through that. I have no answers for you, but I do naturally walk around with a BP as low as 80/60 even when I was obese. I have never fainted because my body is just used to low BP. If weight loss suddenly lowered your BP and your body is not used to it, I can see where you would faint. The concerning thing to me would be the fact that your HR did not increase to make up for the low BP - it should. I very much hope you find answers soon!

Gwen M.
on 2/18/18 9:25 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I have had significant issues with orthostatic hypotension and, when I saw my cardiologist, I had lots of tests/ultrasounds, and I've got some venous insufficiency in my legs.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

peachpie
on 2/18/18 12:37 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

My resting heart rate averages 47bpm, but I run and exercise regularly, so when I explain that to the docs the are not concerned. My blood pressure does not run low though- it's normal to even borlderline high at times, I think that has more to do with family history.

Getting a thorough work up is a good idea. I don't think it's uncommon in our WLS community- but it's better to not assume it's related to surgery.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/18 2:12 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

That's what I thought, it is better to be safe. If it turns out that's just my normal rate and pressure then I can rest easily knowing that.

Harpediem
on 2/18/18 1:39 pm

I suggest you have blood work to fleck your thyroid. Low thyroid function causes low heart rate.

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/18 2:01 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

Thanks! I just had lab work on my thyroid done a couple weeks ago, so that's already ruled out.

Grim_Traveller
on 2/18/18 2:40 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

By all means, see a cardiologist. But generally speaking, our hearts are much healthier after dropping s lit of weight.

Dizziness and sometimes fainting are really common after dropping significant weight, due to low blood pressure. I passed out a couple of times. It's not dangerous unless you hit your head or something.

Look up orthostatic hypotension. Its easy to test for. Take your BP while lying at rest, then standing. If it drops appreciably, it's orthostatic hypotension.

Our bodies evolved to support our super large selves. We literally grow extra veins and blood vessels. Lose a lot of weight, and all that new infrastructure us there. I had to have some veins closed and some removed in my legs.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/18 5:19 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

In the warmer weather when I am doing a lot of biking, my resting heart rate runs between 49-55 bpm. My blood pressure was a bit low after surgery and in the following months. I cured it by adding more salt and talking politics. The salt was recommended by the CRNP at my bariatric practice. The politics was my own.

i am not a doctor, and this is not medical advice, but more fluids and a little more salt helped me out tremendously. And with exercise, a low resting heart rate is normal.

reree6898
on 2/18/18 5:53 pm - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

I went through a period where I was having weird heartbeat and high heart rate. Saw a cardiologist who said that at times drastic weight loss can mess with hormone dumps in the bloodstream and thus effect the heart rate. By all means getting checked out is wise. Even though mine was high heart rate my BP was and is low.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

Most Active