Ceviche or other high protein fat free seafood ideas ?

(deactivated member)
on 2/19/18 11:42 am

Ive always LOVED ceviche-fat free lemon or lime juice ,garlic,onion, cilantro marinated shrimp and scallops ( with perhaps bite sized octopus sea clams and mussels) .

Post op I notice I very rarely hear posters sharing ceviche on a menu.

Why? I find I can easily eat a lb of marinated seafood with fresh horseradish /tomato ****tail sauce as a meal.. and its certainly high protein and very healthy.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/19/18 12:02 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I love ceviche (which is just the cooking method, really-- though it's often associated with fish) and I know that I eat it often when I am in the Caribbean or Latin America. I don't think it's as popular outside of coastal regions in the US.

If you like ceviche, you'd likely enjoy "Mexican Shrimp/Scallop ****tail" too. It's basically very chilled shrimp (or any seafood) tossed in a tomato, citrus, avocado, hot pepper and cilantro mixture.

I eat a lot of seafood. I find that I get a lot of protein bang with few calories -- and I love it. However, if you are cooking for a family, it can be very expensive.

I cannot/do not eat a pound, however. I am sure you were using hyperbole, but I tend to stay between 3.5 and 4 oz.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 2/19/18 12:55 pm

You are right Kat .. I looked at the package and it was half a lb. Honestly my pouch would have been satisfied with half of that ... but im just simply greedy and spoiled and used to eating till im stuffed.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/19/18 12:42 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Ceviche is great, but it's hard to come by if you don't live near the ocean. In many places (my desert home included), it's very difficult to get high-quality fresh seafood for it.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 2/19/18 12:49 pm
VSG on 03/28/17

I love fresh Poke and think it's an ideal food but I moved away from the coast a few months post-op and hae not been able to eat it since. So delicious though!

HonestOmnivore
on 2/19/18 1:01 pm
RNY on 03/29/17

I eat shrimp regularly - I keep a bag of pre-cooked shrimp in the freezer and thaw out 3 to 4 oz. as needed. I also love Poke bowls (I order mine on greens instead of rice) and I try to have sashimi salmon or tuna every week.

Ceviche is delicious but hard to find and expensive to make when you live in a fly-over state!

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

Most Active