Devastated Beyond any Imagination

Teresa G.
on 4/27/18 2:52 pm
VSG on 06/07/18 with

Last time I posted, my beautiful Bernese Mountain Dog, Max, had just passed away after a very short but valiant battle with Lymphoma. His soulmate, Faith, has been "off" since he got sick...first the vet thought it was kennel cough, then pharyngitis, then aspiration pneumonia. Since Max passed, she's been getting progressively more uninterested in food, not moving around a lot...we knew she was sick but we were confident that she'd pull through. She was young and healthy and strong and such a joyful and exuberant spirit.

On Wednesday my husband went home to check on her, then called me crying that she was gone. She had died in her sleep. She wasn't even 5 yet. She was our baby.

We found out the next day, from a sample our vet had taken and sent in on Monday, that she had a very aggressive lung cancer.

Cancer stole both of my babies from me in 11 days. How do I recover from this unimaginable heart ache? I know some will think "They're just dogs", but they were so much more than that. They were pure, joyful and full of nothing but love. I much preferred them to most people.

I've been self soothing with crap-food since Max died...and I'm not slowing down, and I frankly don't give a flying f*** right now. No advice asked for...just wanted to vent.

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

Shannon S.
on 4/27/18 4:27 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Aww that is truly horrible. Sorry for your losses. I can imagine the pain you are feeling. I love my fur babies like family.

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 4/27/18 6:01 pm, edited 4/27/18 11:32 am - Belleville, IL

You "Don't get over it"....Would a person get "over" the loss of another person? I am NOT going to get into religion or beliefs, however I believe that every living thing from a bug to a person has a "life force". We are born to be empaths, therefore we morn and grieve the loss of those we love.

I had a dof named Max too, he was a Rottweiler and both a Certified Service dog and certified Therapy. He bout joy to me and many others. Sadly Large breed dogs do not live as long as small or medium dogs. Also some breeders do NOT test for cancers and other illnesses in the ***** and sire. I never believed in "dogs comforting us from the other side" but the day Max had to be euthanized I literally saw him come upp to my bed with his favorite toy in the whole wold...A Tennis ball. He looked heealthy,, shiny, happy and no tumors. I post this for you....

RAINBOW BRIDGE

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Also there are forums for people who have lost a beloved pet. > https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/

If you feel like doing something in your dogs name make a donation, Foster, visit an Animal Shellter/ work to help big dogs get adopted or....Take time to grieve. At age 50 I got my first tattoo of 2 of my service dogs. And I work with training large breed dogs of all kinds to help THEM feel safe and learn to love again.

I used to work at an Animal Shelter and you NEVER "get over it" nor have I ever in my 55 years had someone say that to me. Just be YOU and do what gives you peace. My heart is with you.

((((hugs))))

Warmly,

Jackie

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/28/18 5:06 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Our beagle passed away in November. We started volunteering at an animal shelter in January, fostered one of the dogs in March and adopted him in April. What a love he is!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 4/27/18 6:03 pm - Belleville, IL

please forgive my bad typing...I have autoimmune diseasse and severe epilepsy.\

Warmly,

Jackie

Gwen M.
on 4/27/18 6:33 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

This might sound like a strange suggestion, but some Hospice programs actually offer bereavement groups for loss of pets.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/18 9:26 pm

I don't think this sounds strange at all.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/27/18 7:13 pm

So sorry to hear that.

We have furbabies and love them. They offer unconditional love and affection.

Hugs.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/18 3:47 am
VSG on 10/11/16

Every dog we have ever shared our lives with has left me with a hole in my heart, but many good memories as well. I cry like a baby every time we lose one. I get through it by focusing on the good times and the happy memories. We never truly "get over it", but we can get through it.

All of our dogs and cats have been rescue animals, abandoned or neglected by callous indifferent people. Part of what helps us through is finding another animal who needs a caring home and bringing them into our family. Sometimes they come sooner, and sometimes we've waited a bit. But we always find another, and the love we get from those animals along with the fulfillment in providing a happy home for them helps us in dealing with the ones who have gone on before.

catwoman7
on 4/28/18 4:54 am
RNY on 06/03/15

we've dealt with cancer in some of our pets (both lymphoma and lung), and in 2012 we lost three pets in one year, so I can kind of relate to what you're going through - but two in 11 days? OMG. That is SO tragic. I can't even imagine the pain you must be feeling. I know there's nothing anyone can say or do to make this any easier, but just know that people's thoughts and prayers are with you. I am so sorry.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Most Active