Full fluid stage- how to keep it low carb?

Donna L.
on 7/2/18 10:18 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I basically sipped all day like it was my job. I put protein powder in everything - yogurt, cooled jello, you name it. I didn't push myself, but I was definitely on the high side of protein. Even if you did 3x premier shakes a day, which is possible via sip sip sipping, that alone is like 90g.

I also doubled up protein in shakes. Some is excreted, but most is processed. Be aware that the pea and brown rice are sometimes less bioavailable even if they are complete proteins, though it's usually not an issue. They make a beef protein isolate too that's not bad, and I'm tempted to use it. Now I just do pureed meat for "protein shakes" which sounds awful but isn't bad.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

kamac
on 7/2/18 11:00 am
VSG on 07/09/18

I wish I could do Premier Protein, but cow whey gives me awful upper respiratory problems. I can do cow's milk greek yogurt and cheese just fine, because most if not all of the whey is removed. Even cow milk I can tolerate okay in small quantities, with maybe a scratchy throat or mildly runny nose. But any sort of concentrated cow whey protein makes me so congested I can hardly breath and I lose my voice. It's a bummer, because life would sure be easier if I could have Premier Protein shakes.

I've heard so many conflicting things about pea protein, so I decided to give the Naked Goat powder a try, at least initially. I'll have to see how my energy and weight loss goes when/if I use the pea & brown rice combo powder.

Oh, I just looked up the beef protein isolate, that looks interesting! I knew about bone broth protein powder, which apparently wls folks might have absorption issues with, but the beef protein is something different...I'm going to see if it's available in Canada, I'd like to try it!

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

Donna L.
on 7/2/18 2:15 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Whey intolerance is awful...it's a huge inflammatory trigger for many, too.

You can make "premier protein" shakes. 12oz of liquid, 1 scoop of goat whey if it works, and add flavorings if desired. I kept the protein to a small amount of liquid but blended it well so I could make sure to fit it in.

At the hospital I had surgery at they had schmancy protein jellos and high-protein broths so it was doubly easy. Too bad Unjury is whey only. They have a chicken flavor one :( Make sure dairy is listed on your allergies to avoid a mishap at the hospital.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Gwen M.
on 7/2/18 8:02 am
VSG on 03/13/14

o_O

My protein goal was 60-80 grams of protein from day 1 post op and definitely not impossible. I was easily able to drink two protein shakes a day, three was bonus and got me to 75-90 grams.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Writergurl08
on 7/2/18 9:30 am
RNY on 02/15/18

My goal was 60g minimum right out of surgery, which I got from 2 shakes plus a serving of Unjury chicken soup usually put me close to 70. Currently my goal for minimum is 80g at 4 months.

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

kamac
on 7/2/18 10:15 am
VSG on 07/09/18

That's good to know (and from your ticker you're doing fantastic, congrats!) 3 shakes a day would put me at just under 70g, and I guess I could always make one with goat milk instead of almond milk to boost the protein a bit.

Kara

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

Donna L.
on 7/2/18 10:14 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I did 80-90g a day right after both surgeries, all from liquid. Not all at once, but sipped gradually. It's definitely possible if you sip throughout the day. I was also lucky and wasn't nauseous and tolerated everything well which is a huge factor, too, so I was doing 80-100 ounces of liquid a day the week after I got home, anyway. Right now I'm supposed to do 100-120, but I'm three months out from the revision.

You can use the extra protein closer to surgery; at least with my program the requirement is lower so people don't pu**** but it's definitely on an as tolerated basis. The surgeon said to get whatever I could but to not push things.

kamac
on 7/2/18 10:41 am, edited 7/2/18 5:42 am
VSG on 07/09/18

Thanks Donna. 80-90g right out of the gate is fantastic. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll bounce back from surgery and tolerate everything okay, but I guess I'll just have to wait to see how it goes.

My program recommends 60-90g for women, but I'm planning to do 100-120g, especially by the time I'm cleared for a regular diet. I think for the fluid stage, I'll aim for minimum 60g but hopefully exceed it if I'm feeling well enough.

It amazed me that dieticians, especially bariatric dieticians, are still more or less stuck in the traditional food pyramid mindset. Not totally of course, in that protein is emphasized, and they do say that after protein, prioritize vegetable over grains. But they still insist on incorporating grains and starches...at my pre-surgery class, the dietician issued a warning about cutting too many carbs, and how people in the online groups and forums recommend cutting carbs and not to listen them. I was silently smdh.

I am definitely going to eat keto because I know from past experience, I feel a million times better. Eating 1/2 a pita bread or 1/4 cup pasta like the dietician recommends just switches something on in my brain and I become a zombie, only instead of brains I want to mindless devour carbs. Better for me to eat protein and fat and not turn that switch on at all.

Edited to add: I just ordered some beef protein isolate. Thanks for mentioning it, as I never knew it existed!

Kara

-Vincent Van Gogh

Donna L.
on 7/2/18 2:23 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I have nnnnno idea how people eat starches a few months out if they eat protein first. There is literally no room. I had a large sleeve and I still couldn't do it.

I'm a big fan of keto after surgery even for the sleeve and RNY. You have to modify the macros somewhat to get protein in and stay under calories (basically just less fat) but it's still cheaper and more sustainable.

It is true we use carbs when available. Do we need them to survive? Many an internet flame war has not solved this question. In theory, no, we don't. Whether that is optimal is up for debate, certainly. Having been big in keto circles myself, I tend to think it's best if we avoid any processed carbohydrate, of which cooked grains and starches count towards, especially if we've had addictive tendencies. All WLS peeps are different and some don't have an issue. Many of us do, though.

Let me know how you like the beef protein isolate :) Beef is supposed to be hard to digest I guess? I had no problems post-op. It's good to have a few options, though. They also make egg protein too, but it gives me horrid stomach pain.

I am not saying people should force protein post-op. However, it is good to have decent intake as soon as tolerated because it helps tremendously with healing afterwards. If you have malabsorption it also means that you aren't depleting all your labile protein whilst healing. Don't pu**** but also know if you can sip sip sip away the liquid protein varieties there's nothing wrong with getting it in if you aren't getting sick.

kamac
on 7/2/18 3:20 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

I'll definitely let you know how the beef protein isolate goes! I actually also went ahead and ordered some egg white protein at the same time, so I can experiment and see what I tolerate the best. Lucky for me my dad has a big protein smoothie every morning, and tolerates everything, and is not picky at all, so any protein powder I don't like I can always pass on to him.

Thanks for all your advice on this, it's been very helpful

Kara

-Vincent Van Gogh

Most Active