Can we talk? Obesity and Career Choices

Kathy S.
on 8/16/18 7:45 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I had a interesting discussion with a good friend and decided I wanted to bring it to the boards. It was basically how being overweight most of my adult life had affected my career choices over the years. I didn't think much of it at first but then I remembered making some choices based solely on "OH MY GOD" they want me. NOT what was best for me/career.

I remember one job as a software analyst never getting promotions even though my performance was always 5 stars. At one point they called me in and wanted me to take a $10,000 pay cut. When I said no and what was the justification for asking I got a dirty look and knew my time was short. I found out later the discussion was the fat girl will take a cut as they always feel thankful for what they can get. Seriously?

Did the inferior, less than imagine that affects some of us being overweight prevent you from going for it? Did the fear of rejection make you miss opportunities? Did you put up with being treated badly in a job because you felt you deserved it?

It doesn't always have to be negative, as being overweight brought me here to OH and enabled me to help others

Take care,

Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/16/18 2:32 pm

Being overweight never affected my opportunities nor my job. But when I was younger - I was heavy, but not heavy enough for it to matter. I as rather "plus size" when I was overweight, but I was constantly on one diet or the next to prevent more weight gain.

And when I was younger - I was often skinny to normal size - in between regains. My worse weight gain happen when I hurt my back and I was put on steroids and I could not move to exercise. I was also over 45, so once I gained the weight- I could not lose it.

But when I was heavier than normal - I would try to avoid travels - since traveling even when you are "just" 80 lbs overweight can be challenging. Plus I was self self aware about my looks and hated to go on sales calls to meet new people.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kathy S.
on 8/17/18 7:31 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

You strike me as a very strong woman and it doesn't surprise me you have soared in your life. Let's face it, we all were learning when we were younger no matter what our size

Shannon S.
on 8/16/18 3:43 pm, edited 8/16/18 9:17 am
VSG on 11/07/17

I?ve got to say no to this one. I think my obesity always made me push myself harder, as not to appear lazy to others. I have always put my best foot forward, even at 375lbs working as a floor nurse in a hospital. I have always been a supervisor, charge nurse, or in some lead role. I was never going going to let my obesity defeat me as long as my body was able.

Kathy S.
on 8/17/18 7:28 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Shannon,

You have my admiration for being a nurse and doing all you do for helping others. Thank you!

Shannon S.
on 8/18/18 4:24 am
VSG on 11/07/17

Thank you!

Partlypollyanna
on 8/16/18 6:02 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

No, I've always had confidence in my abilities not based on my appearance, and have never hesitated to put myself forward for an opportunity I wanted. Although I wouldn't recommend it as a child raising approach, I do credit my mother's "Jennie is the smart one, Shannen is the pretty one" for my confidence (but also for my and my sister's therapy bills (and our bar bills back in our 20s, lol)).

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Kathy S.
on 8/17/18 7:29 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I truly believe our inner strength can shine bright! Thanks and don't go there on the bar bills

Partlypollyanna
on 8/16/18 6:08 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Thinking a bit more, this is similar to a topic of discussion at the first support group I went to. It seemed that there was a clear split in people that had been heavy always (I remember being in husky or #x clothes even as a kindergartner) and people who became heavy older. I don't know if that holds true in the general population or if it was just that room.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Greateight
on 8/16/18 7:49 pm
RNY on 08/29/18

I have seen both sides of this. In my current firm (last 20 years), I have never once had issues and have always felt supported by my colleagues and leaders.

At my previous firm, many discussions about when i was going to be promoted seemed to morph into discussions about when was i going to lose weight because "they were concerned about my health".

As I get older I find it harder to meet my own expectations for work because of the physical toll of decades of obesity.

Jim Age 58 Height 6 Feet Consult Weight 344 SW 289 Pre-Surgery -55, M1 -25, M2 -16, M3 -21, M4 -10, M5 -5, M6 -1, M7 -4, M8 0, M9 +4, M10 -4

Most Active