Sleeve

aalavalette
on 8/23/18 4:56 am

I am interested in getting the gastric sleeve need help on this decision it's a big step

stacyrg
on 8/23/18 9:02 am
VSG on 05/12/14

What exactly can we help you with? Do you have any specific questions? This is a great place to learn!

aalavalette
on 8/23/18 9:06 am

What should you eat and what shouldnt you eat after having it?

Haley_Martinez
on 8/23/18 2:32 pm
RNY on 05/03/18
Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 8/23/18 11:35 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

There is usually a food transition period after surgery which differs depending on the surgeon. It starts with fluids and progresses through purées and finally to solids including meats and vegetables. Ultimately we can eat whatever we want, but most of us try to eat our protein first to make sure we get enough then add vegetables. On the VSG forum there is a menu thread which people at all different points participate in. We eat the same way as those with RNY so their menu thread applies as well (and there are more participants).

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

PCBR
on 8/23/18 12:55 pm

Get to Googling! There's actually a great site that talks about the different surgery options and their implications in a comparative manner. There's even an online "decider" tool where you can plug in things about yourself, activity level, etc to get suggestions. That's a good first step. However, the best step you can take is actually consulting with your doctor and a bariatric surgeon. Many surgeons offer free workshops or seminars that you can attend to get the basics.

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

(deactivated member)
on 8/23/18 2:34 pm
loralorabobora
on 8/24/18 8:38 am, edited 8/24/18 1:39 am - NY

Just putting this out there if deciding between sleeve and bypass... because I wish I would have known. If you have problems with acid reflux or heartburn, bypass may be a better choice. Surely something to ask the dr about at consult at least.

aalavalette
on 8/24/18 9:18 am

Ok what's the bypass?

Janet P.
on 8/24/18 10:05 am

Gastric bypass or Roux-En-Y (RNY). Google is your friend. Start researching weight loss surgery so you can understand what procedures are offered, and the pros and cons of each procedure. Only you can make the decision on which surgery is best for your personal situation.

VSG - vertical sleeve gastrectomy

RNY - Roux-En-Y or gastric bypass (there are several variations of the RNY depending on the amount of malabsorption you want/need)

DS - duodenal switch

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active