Needing advice

Tfergu2886
on 8/27/18 6:31 pm

Hi there I havent been on this sight in a really long time. I have posted this same or similar post under the DS catagory.

i had surgery in 2013 the gastric sleeve. I started at 266 and got down to 214. That took me a year. They i had to have a hysterectomy and it just seems like i have struggled since. I am 236 and feel like a looser. I think my selve still works because i get full relatively easy. But i am eating wrong things. I crave everything. It makes me so mad at myself. I was think about trying a different procedure to give me a jump start. Any recommendations. I have ro pay out of pocket. My insurance will not cover.

Any suggestions

tracey

Cathy H.
on 8/27/18 10:16 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

If you still get full easily, then your tool is still working. The problem isn't your surgery, it's what you're eating, and another surgery won't help you with that. You probably already know what you're doing wrong. The only way to get back on track is to go back to basics--weigh, measure, track--eat protein first, ditch the crappy carbs, and drink your minimum 64oz of fluid daily.

I also suggest checking into therapy to see why you continue to eat the wrong things even though you know you shouldn't.

Good luck!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Knitter215
on 8/28/18 5:57 am
VSG on 08/23/16

Consider meeting with a bariatric RD to help you develop a meal plan and get yourself back on track. Up your exercise - even if its just walking around the block. One thing that has kept me on track is writing down everything I eat - I use My Fitness Pal - other people use different apps, but I find that it has a great database and is easy to use on my phone so I have no excuse to not write down what I have eaten.

I agree with the other poster about therapy - it sounds like you are sabotaging yourself - you need to find out why because if you don't fix that nothing will change.

Best of luck.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

Tfergu2886
on 8/28/18 7:03 am

Hi Diana

Exercise is not a problem for me. I kick box 3 times a week. I just upped that from 1 to 3xs. and do cardio on Tuesday and Thursday. yes therapy might be a good idea but has never worked for me in the past. I think I will stay connected here on this sight and it will get me over the hump.

Thanks for the advice

Tracey

Gwen M.
on 8/28/18 10:23 am
VSG on 03/13/14

If it hasn't worked for you, you might need to experiment with different therapists or modalities. You might find that group therapy works better, for example.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/29/18 4:55 am

Very intense exercise makes me very hungry and I always gain weight when I exercise a lot. For me - yoga, less intense exercise helps me tone and lose weight.

Unfortunately, unless you change the diet - no WLS would work long term.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Dcgirl
on 8/28/18 5:58 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Yep, I have to agree with Cathy...it sounds like you still have restriction. I am almost 5 years out and can eat unfathomable quantities of chips and popcorn, but still get full from chicken breast. Of course, I crave things like chips and I think they taste better than grilled chicken. But I know if I have the right foods prepared and in the fridge, and no crap in the cupboard, I will reach for the dense protein. What are some things you like to eat? These are some easy ideas/recipes to keep on hand so when you are hungry, reach for this, and you will be filled right up!

Deli turkey and cheese roll-ups, wrapped around a pickle

Ground turkey, made with taco seasoning and sprinkled with Mexican cheese

Ground turkey made with some marinara sauce and sprinkled with mozzarella cheese

Chicken sausages (from Costco - AmyLu brand are my favorite!)

Tuna made with chopped up onions

Egg salad made with cottage cheese instead of mayo, sprinkled with Trader Joe's Everything But The Bagel Spice

Microwaved turkey or regular pepperoni - crispy!

BACON!

Lots of people love steak (I don't) but it's a great dense protein choice

Sauteed shrimp with some pesto

Low carb tortillas that you can make into little pizzas in the toaster oven

You can still have lots of good, flavorful, healthy foods. Cutting the carbs will be a ***** for the first 3 days but once you get past that, you will find you can only eat small portions of protein.

Tip: use a digital scale to weigh your food. Start with 4 oz and see how your sleeve does with that. Another tip - plan your menu the day before. That's what I do every single day. When I wake up, 95% of time I know exactly what I am having for breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner. If I "wing it", I am much more likely to eat a bunch of crap.

You're not alone...lots of people (myself included) have some regain after the first magical two years. Join the daily "What's on Your Menu" thread on the RNY forum and post. You might get some good meal ideas and make some supportive friends!

Linda W.
on 8/28/18 8:21 am - Clearlake, CA

I have tried nearly everything on your list, and I can testify to the deliciousness of all of it (except pickles. I don't like pickles!)

The only thing I would add is use your imagination. The turkey deli meat roll ups can be made with any deli meat and any spreadable cheese - I like low fat cream cheese with chives. Yummy! Keep a few of these prepared in the fridge, and when the craving monster attack**** back with good for you snacks.

Linda    
Tfergu2886
on 8/28/18 7:00 am

Thank you so much for the advice. I am listening. You are right. It has been 5 years for me since my surgery. Discipline is something I need.

Thank you for all the food options.

Tracey

judi09
on 9/6/18 3:28 pm - PA

I am 8 years post gastric bypass and started putting weight back on after year 3. I reached out to a therapist and they guided me here. I was beating myself up and feeling like a failure since I have gained half of the weight I lost. I know what I need to do but I just can't understand why I can't get back in track. Reading some of these posts have made me feel like I am not alone in this battle.

Most Active