Ketogenic Diet And Intermittent Fasting

singdoremi
on 10/14/18 1:35 pm - NJ

What's the difference between total and net carbs?

VSG 6/4/13
Ellen

Liz J.
on 10/14/18 2:43 pm
DS on 11/29/16

Take your carb total from the package minus our fiber and sugar achool to get net carbs.

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

singdoremi
on 10/15/18 5:14 pm - NJ

Liz,

I ate similar to your plan today. It was brilliant. TY for your help. It is great to go back to eating the way I did a few years ago. Now....to take off the regain!

VSG 6/4/13
Ellen

Liz J.
on 10/16/18 9:07 am, edited 10/16/18 2:07 am
DS on 11/29/16

Great!

You may want to talk to Cathy H. and ask for her advise since you do not have the malabsorption issues I do. The DS surgery has it's own math, which is why my numbers are different. You don't have that issue, so you could do a standard Keto diet/why of eating. For example I have to eat twice the protein I need as I only absorb 50%, that's DS math.

Liz

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

Cathy H.
on 9/28/18 9:20 am, edited 9/28/18 2:24 am
VSG on 10/31/16

I switched to the Ketogenic way of eating about 5 months post surgery. I don't know how it would have been possible to do prior to that, due to the minimal amount of calories we consume the first few months post-op, just to get in enough protein. Also, intermittent fasting might make it hard for you to make your protein goals since you eat so little the first few months.

Personally, my advice would be to focus on protein and fluid goals for now, keep your carbs low, and not worry about fat. There are so many calories in fat, it's hard to get appropriate Keto ratios (75% fat, 20% protein, 5% carbs) while only eating 600-800 cals/day. JMHO.

The information from the previous poster is interesting, but as she had DS, she has significant malabsorption, which we as VSGers do not have. We must strictly limit our calories in order to achieve the best weight loss during the first year.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

singdoremi
on 10/16/18 9:34 am - NJ

What about for someone 5.5 years out? I kept to 1000 calories yesterday. 120 protein, 24 carbs. I had VSG. Dealing with 20 pounds regain. What do you think?

VSG 6/4/13
Ellen

Cathy H.
on 10/16/18 11:13 am
VSG on 10/31/16

No reason you can't switch to keto. If you want to stick to 1000 calories, that means at least 700 calories from fat, 250 from protein and 50 from carbs. Essentially you're looking at 62 grams of protein, 78 grams of fat, and 12 grams of carbs per day = 70% fat, 25% protein, 5% carbs.

If you want to maintain 120 grams of protein, then you won't really be on a keto diet, just a low carb one. It will get you into ketosis, but won't retrain your brain to use fat for energy instead of glucose.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

hollykim
on 9/28/18 9:30 am, edited 9/28/18 2:33 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

On September 28, 2018 at 3:04 AM Pacific Time, Mindy325 wrote:

Hi. Are any of you guys following a Ketogenic Diet and Intermittent Fasting post bariatric surgery? If so, have you had any trouble getting adequate protein in the restricted hours? What were you eating and what was the timing? Thanks in advance.

what does a days menu look like for you, including weights/ measured amounts?

imho, if you aren?t losing weight at 3 months out, you are eating too much.

You are drinking with meals so you can eat more which defeats the purpose of the surgery. You should be eating 600-700 cals a day max. Mostly or all protein.

when you eat and drink the solid protein you have eaten turns into soup, and leaves your pouch right away, instead of staying in there a while. Food staying in a while keeps hunger away. When you eat and drink , you are making yourself hungry too soon, and then eating peanuts.

Did you get no instruction from your surgeon?

If yoe eat too many calories your body will not break down your stored fat for energy. Breaking down stored fat to use for energy equals weight loss.

Mindy325
on 9/28/18 10:27 am
VSG on 06/26/18

Some background: My instructions were to not drink 30 minutes before or after eating, but my problem was that even though I measure out 2 ounces of protein to eat, I get a heavy feeling of discomfort before I finish the 2 ounces. I was also unable to drink adequate amounts of water because the heavy discomfort could last up to 3 hours. I kept running out of time to drink water before bedtime. I was too uncomfortable to begin drinking after only 30 minutes. If I would stop eating before feeling the discomfort, I would never get a decent amount of protein in. I felt that protein was important even if it took me 1 hour to eat it in order to not rely too heavily on shakes. It still takes me 3 hours to finish a 16.9 ounce bottle of water. I told my doctor and nutritionist about my issues and lack of what I thought was appropriate weight loss and they felt I wasn't getting enough calories. My labs are normal. To help something like canned tuna to go down, I had added full-fat mayo. That all still takes forever to eat. However long my meals take, it's still the 2 ounces of protein that I'm trying to get in. I don't take an hour to eat so that I can try to push 5 ounces of protein in. One of the calorie counts I did was 580, and all of the counts were in that range. Since just prior to surgery, I've lost only 43.5 pounds which I think is very low for 3 and 1/2 months post sleeve. My doctor and nutritionist feel that I very likely ruined my metabolism from years of yo-yo dieting, and they would like me to have them test it. I guess I would do just fine in a famine. I have remained in ketosis since my 2 week diet. I haven't checked my calories again since I recently started eating the peanuts and cashews, but I wouldn't think they are too high and certainly shouldn't be too low now. The nuts do go down much easier than tuna or salmon, but I know that I lose control with nuts so I measure them out and don't eat them straight from the can. I'm not cleared for pork or beef yet. No room by the way for many cooked vegetables, and no clearance for raw vegetables yet. I heard it makes a difference, but I had a previous Lap Band which was removed and revised to the sleeve in the same surgery.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/28/18 12:30 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Patients who go from lap band to sleeve experience slower weight loss than people who have VSG as their first surgery. Your slow loss is absolutely normal.

Peanuts and cashews are not a great choice when you're early out, even if you want the fat for keto. You need to be eating foods with at least 10g protein per 100 calories, and nuts don't meet that criteria.

There is nothing wrong with using shakes to meet your protein goals, nor is there a problem with eating fewer than 2oz at a time if it's too much.

Have you considered things like Greek yogurt or cottage cheese as an additional way to get protein?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active