Ketogenic Diet And Intermittent Fasting

Cathy H.
on 10/1/18 12:04 am, edited 9/30/18 6:39 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

That's actually low carb, not Keto. Keto is High Fat, Medium Protein, low carb. Ratios should be a minimum of 65% fat, 25% protein, 10% carbs. You are following a High Carb, Low Fat diet. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not truly a Keto diet.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Liz J.
on 10/1/18 7:00 am
DS on 11/29/16

Well, it gets me in to Ketosis, I believe that's the definition of the Keto diet. Also, as I said before I'm doing Bariatric Keto which was adjusted by a license dietitian to fit the needs of the surgery I had. I was told that we (people that had bariatric surgery) shouldn't do standard Keto. Your mileage may vary.

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

Mindy325
on 10/1/18 9:15 pm
VSG on 06/26/18

Where were you able to find a dietician who was familiar with Bariatric Keto? The licensed dietician at my program didn't seem to be able to give me much guidance when I discussed my plans with her. The program's routine is just to advise protein first, then fat, then carbs last. In that way, there will naturally be less carbs but she doesn't address quantity or percentage of total calories.

Liz J.
on 10/2/18 7:15 am, edited 10/2/18 12:22 am
DS on 11/29/16

Most office I've been in contact with have a nutritionist not a dietitian. I was lucky and was referred to her by my personal trainer. They both are very pro-keto and the dietitian's mom had bariatric surgery, she did a bunch of research for her and then when I came a long she did more since I don't absorb the same way her mom does or a normal person. That's a big part of why it's different for me then it might be for you. Some people believe that there is only one true way for Keto, if your body has been altered with bariatric surgery keto has to be adjusted to your body type.

DS Math- I adsorb less than 50% of the Protein and about 60% of my complex carbs (100% of simple carbs)

Liz

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

Mindy325
on 9/30/18 6:08 pm
VSG on 06/26/18

Thanks guys! After reading through the comments, I guess I should have come out of ketosis after the surgery and waited a few months before going back into it. I figured since I was already in it, it would be easier on me if I maintain it. I'm a binge eater, and I felt that I needed the help of the appetite suppression that came with ketosis. It has always been extremely difficult for me to even get started cutting out carbs whenever I wanted to do low-carb. But now I get so weak every couple of days even on vitamins. I probably need carbs although they say there's no such thing as essential carbs. But if I'm not losing weight now, it will be worse if I added back some carbs, especially now that I know that I will have very slow weight loss just because I was a revision from a Lap Band. Besides I don't really have room for carbs. I'm trying really hard to get 2 ounces of protein in within 30 minutes. I wonder if that tight heavy feeling is scar tissue from where the band was removed. I'm still drinking an 8.5 ounce shake which I started a few hours ago. I'm alternating with water, but I have to stop everything for a couple of hours at a time to let the heavy feeling subside. Later on, I'll have a little Greek yogurt. I've never vomited and don't want to. My surgeon and nutritionist know about my issues, but they aren't concerned. My total weight loss as of this morning was 44 pounds since I weighed in at 250 before I went in for surgical evaluation. I'm trying to incorporate the suggestions you guys gave me. Thank you all so much.

Most Active