Low blood sugars

Troy Roberts
on 10/10/18 8:04 pm - CO
  1. Hey I'm almost 8 years post op still doing great . In life but my blood sugars have been dropping in to the 30 alot lateyl it seems to be soon after I eat . At time I'm sweaty,almost pass out ,weak and it's hard to eat anything . Any one else going throw this or any help would be great . Thanks in advance for any help Troy
Grim_Traveller
on 10/11/18 6:04 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It sounds like reactive hypoglycemia. It hits most of us if we eat too many simple carbs. Protein and fats don't normally crash blood sugar.

What are you eating when this happens?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Troy Roberts
on 10/11/18 6:28 am - CO

Yes this is what I've been told . It don't seem to make a difference what I eat . I eat mostly protein for every meal .was just wondering if there is a med or anything I can take to help .,

catwoman7
on 10/11/18 6:47 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I was told to eat something about every three hours to keep my blood sugar stable. It's worked for me so far. Beyond that, I don't know.... not sure if there is a med to help with this. I'd ask your doctor.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/11/18 6:47 pm

Reactive hypoglycemia (RH) can happen when I eat too many carbs, of wrong type of carbs, or lean proteins with not much fat.

RH is a body reaction to too much Insulin being released as a response to food.

Interesting enough, proteins stimulare insulin secretiin, so lean proteind can also caused RH. Google "Food insulin index".

There is also posibility of changes in pancreas that can cause high fasting insulinoma.

Changes in other hormones like thyroid or cortisone, can affect how our body process food.

I used to get uncontrolled hypoglycemia and RH, and after number of specialized testing, I was diagnosed with adrenal Insufficiency. My endocrinologist put me on a replacement dose of cortisone and eventually my condition improved.

But I still can't eat just 1-2 soft of HB eggs and be ok. If I mix that with avocado and mayo - then great, but plain eggs still can cause RH.

Btw: during one of cat scans, app 3 years post op the docs discovered changes in my pancreas. I have a pancreatic cancer doc that monitors that making sure it doesn't become a cancer.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

stacyrg
on 10/12/18 8:46 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I agree with the types of foods that will trigger RH. While most of my blood sugar lows come after eating carbs (not necessarily sugar) I have had RH "episodes" off of proteins such as ham and chicken.

Cindi A.
on 10/16/18 3:18 pm - Vancouver, Canada
VSG on 11/26/12

Yes, this is a familiar scenario to me, as well. As others have said, it seems to happen when I don't eat enough fats and proteins, or if I indulge in sugary things. I know I need to eat more often during the day then I do but I struggle with that because it feels like an annoyance when I get busy doing stuff and forget to watch the time. I hate the intrusion but having protein bars in my bag at all times has been a good emergency standby. Read your labels, most protein bars are just candy bars with protein. ::rolls eyes::

I've woken up in the night sweating, shaky, and needing to get food into myself before I pass out. It's awful, and what's makes it worse is yes, you can actually feel very opposed to eating at that point. Starting out with some milk, and slowly working myself into eating usually works. I have had whole days after an attack when I felt hungover.

I do my best to avoid it happening, but I'm not perfect.

centurycard     

Surg: Nov. 26/12 1st Goal: Lose 100lbs Reached Feb. 14/14 New Goal: 135lbs

Most Active