Mild Sleep apnea and Hypoxemia

Vanvooh
on 9/11/19 12:16 pm

Hello,

I just got the results from my sleep study. Mild Sleep APnea and Hypoxemia. I was wondering if anyone else had a diagnosis like this. They want me to use a CPAP machine ( which is fine) but I am just mainly want to know- will I feel better? I am so damn tired all the time. Between this and Diabetes Type 2. I am often very tired.

Anyone else have this and got better after WLS? And all the other things that you have to do in prep for it?

ScaleSkater
on 9/11/19 12:57 pm

Get ready to have a REM party! PARTY!!

I went from severe to mild with my weight loss. Unfortunately, I didn't get off the machine, but I barely blip now. However, just blip enough that they don't want to take me off. If you are tired, the mild Dx is just words. You are likely very sleep deprived and the machine likely will help significantly. Did they do a titration study (with a mask on your face)? Didn't you feel better afterwards if you did?

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

Vanvooh
on 9/11/19 1:02 pm

Hi ScaleSkater,

No... I have to schedule that. Im meeting with the surgeons office tomorrow and she has ordered the machine. I will get that scheduled after I talk to her. Did you have any issues with oxygen level?

ScaleSkater
on 9/11/19 1:00 pm

Machine life is easy, so don't freak out about it. I tolerate it very well, but you might need to build up slowly a few hours a night. The sleep therapist should help you with strategy to onboard usage. My big advice. Get a heated humidifier addition (some insurance don't cover, but worth it to avoid nose bleeds due to drying). I also use AYR gel each night to keep up nasal moisture. I do it because I take flonase and it will dry by itself, so I need to stay on top of it.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

Vanvooh
on 9/11/19 1:05 pm

thank you! yes.. the order did say something about a heat humidifier so I guess that will all be part of the plan. But yes- you are right.. I am extremely tired especially right now. I have plans to meet my friends tonight and I always worry that I will be too tired. Once all this is done, I am really hoping that I feel significantly better. I mean weight loss, treating this apnea and everything. I never knew that I felt so bad until I started all of this. I just assumed it was age but last night I realized that I have been really tired for about five years

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/11/19 1:09 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Ohmygosh, I felt SO much better once I got my CPAP! I was actually falling asleep at work, it was super embarrassing, but the CPAP absolutely fixed that. I felt much more rested, even after a shorter period of sleep, it was amazing.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Vanvooh
on 9/11/19 1:14 pm

yes.. I fall asleep at work too! Thank God I work from home so I can take short naps but ya.. its awful to be so tired all the time

ScaleSkater
on 9/12/19 7:18 am

My Oxygen saturation was SOOOO bad that the home health company set up my machine immediately without having the prescription and the insurance approval. They technically broke the law by doing this, but I was that bad. I think I was down into the 60s somewhere. It scared them to death. But again, I was 500 pounds at the time. I tolerated the machine immediately and have had the machine with me every night since mid-1995. I have had friends that do struggle and gave up very quickly. Some struggle, but if that is the case for you - take your time and try to build up your time. Likely if you are so sleep deprived, you'll sleep deeply. But overall, I love the machine - not so much to travel with them, but I do appreciate what they've done for me. Go in with a positive attitude. Your life will be oh so better. Good luck

RNY November 2016

Vanvooh
on 9/12/19 7:56 am

Thats a great report ScaleSkater ! Glad to hear that you had such positive results and am hoping for the same for myself. My attitude is pretty positive- at this point I am willing to do what it takes to get my health back on track so I can enjoy life!

ScaleSkater
on 9/12/19 10:41 am, edited 9/12/19 3:42 am

The best part, which I would actually miss getting off the machine, is snuggling under the covers in the winter. Because you have a fresh air supply you can keep all the covers over your face :)

Work with the home health company to find a good mask. I always did well with ResMed Mirage series. I think I'm on the third variation of the design now.

When I had my RNY the anesthesiologist came by and asked if I was a CPAP patient. I said, yes and I had my machine with me. "So, what percentage of the night do you sleep with the machine and how many nights on average do you actually use it per month?" 100 by 30 I told him. He called me a liar to my face. Told me that my answer was deadly serious to how he treated me during the surgery. I told him that there were only 5 nights I didn't have the machine in over 20 years of use - all of those were due to the machine breaking during a trip (two times on trips to be exact). The new machines are much more durable than those in 1995. He didn't believe me, but I told him (with serious annoyance in my voice) to just treat me as a 100% compliant patient because that's what I am. I did tell the surgeon the guy was a big D. He said, great doc, terrible manner. Whatever ;)

RNY November 2016

Most Active