Nicotine Testing pre surgery

Vanvooh
on 10/29/19 8:21 am

Hello,

I am required to pass a nictotine test before surgery. I have quit a full 7 days now and did not smoke too much before anyway. about 4 ciggies per day. Anyway, did anyone out there also have to do this? Im wondering if I can go tomorrow for the test ( guessing its urine test) and will be fine to pass it....

Or should I wait a little bit longer? I am trying to get this surgery scheduled for this year as I have insurance approval and my insurance policy is likely to change for next year as my company has been sold and will be acquired by another company

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/29/19 8:34 am
RNY on 08/05/19

According to Google, if you're a light smoker, nicotine will stay in your urine for about four days. If it's a blood test, it will be there for about ten days.

https://www.healthline.com/health/quit-smoking/how-long-does -nicotine-stay-in-your-system#nicotine-inurine

I'd suggest calling your surgeon's office to ask them how soon after quitting you can test, as some tests can be more sensitive than others.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Grim_Traveller
on 10/29/19 10:40 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Some surgeons will also test the morning of your surgery, too. And will send you home if you test positive.

Nicotine seriously harms your ability to heal. You really, really will be better off if you just stay on the wagon, as opposed to passing the test and lighting back up.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Vanvooh
on 10/29/19 11:12 am
On October 29, 2019 at 5:40 PM Pacific Time, Grim_Traveller wrote:

Some surgeons will also test the morning of your surgery, too. And will send you home if you test positive.

Nicotine seriously harms your ability to heal. You really, really will be better off if you just stay on the wagon, as opposed to passing the test and lighting back up.

right.... not planning in that Im just trying to find out when I can take the test and pass it since I cannot get this surgery scheduled until that test is passed. Really has nothing to do with stopping and starting smoking

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/30/19 5:54 am

Hopefully you don't get exposed to a second hand smoke. Unfortunately that can make you test positive for nicotine. Most surgeons don't care if you smoke or you are exposed to it. As Grim indicated, nicotine can upset the healing process and for them to operate on you, they want you nicotine free.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Frank_M
on 11/10/19 12:11 pm
VSG on 05/14/19 with

I am a former smoker and tried several methods to quit. Back in the late 90s I was part of a Nicotol inhaler test. Each week I had to submit how many cigarettes per day I smoked, then blow into a machime. I guess its similar to a breathalyzer for alcohol but it measures carbon monoxide. I don't know if any surgeons have this method available but if they do there is no fooling the machine.

Most Active