Gallbladder issues?

Dee_Caprini
on 4/16/20 10:30 am

Hi everyone, do gallbladder issues vary from person to person?

I had to have an ultrasound and I was informed that I have gallstones... what are some of your symptoms? What do I need to look out for?

My surgeon did not remove my gallbladder when I had my bypass. I don't eat a lot of fatty or greasy foods so I am trying to figure out how these came about?

Gina 21 Years Out
on 4/16/20 5:06 pm - Burleson, TX

Gall Bladders are as individual, as every person is. For example, MINE was GANGRENE, and EXPLODED, when I was 16!! How's that, for individual? I had been having cramps/stomach problems, off and on, for years, but though it was "period cramps"...and didn't want to talk about it !!! Anyhoo...I went to church camp, nearly died there...this was back in 1974...no sonograms or CTscans, etc...But, I made a lifelong friend, of my doctor, who saved my life...A couple of years later he paid for me to go to nursing school...The, fast forward 40 yrs, and I was honored to be the bedside Hospice nurse for both this doctor, and for his wife...

Well...did I get off track, or what ?????

Stones, like gall stones, kidney stones, gout, things that often happen when there has been a fast weight loss. The Uric Acid will rise, due not being able to flush your fluids. Nothing you did wrong - you just can't drink enough!! For gall bladder, people often complain nausea, cramping (not always on the right side)...Gall Bladder attacks VERY often mimic heart attacks...Higher fat foods CAN bother attacks, but...sometimes, they just HAPPEN...If stones get stuck, in the common bile duct (which is what happened, in my case, long ago), it can become a messy and painful situation...Nowadays, they can do Hide-ascan, etc and catch things before emergencies happen

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Dee_Caprini
on 4/17/20 10:32 am

WOW! Your info is very helpful and how wonderful it was that you were able to comfort him and his wife in their time of need, as he was able to help you during yours.

Thank you so much for your response. I have been getting little pains, when I breathe (but only for a few minutes) and get nauseous with dry heaving for (sometimes no reason)... I had a lot of pain/bloating (What I thought was air in my stomach) and that is what made me think I was having issues... trying to see what things give me issues, but it's never the same.

Melody P.
on 4/16/20 5:35 pm - Amarillo, TX

My grandpa, uncles and mom all have/had gallbladder issue. I wasn't surprised last year when I needed mine removed. It was full of stones and a lot of sludge. I've never been able to follow a higher fat diet before that and still can't do to much. My doctor was also hoping that's what was responsible for my sever GERD.

For me it was a day surgery to get it removed but I later had to have a revision.

hope you find a solution!

Dee_Caprini
on 4/17/20 10:34 am

Thanks, Melody! I'm hoping I do not have to go through another surgery! praying I find a solution too!

Laura in Texas
on 4/17/20 5:01 pm

Many bariatric surgeons prescribe ursodid for 6 months to help prevent gallstones because they are so common after weight loss surgery. I tried taking it, but it made me nauseous so I stopped.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Gina 21 Years Out
on 4/20/20 7:04 am - Burleson, TX

For the life of me, I couldn't come up with the name of Ursodid!!

Thank you, Laura !!!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Grim_Traveller
on 4/18/20 3:57 am
RNY on 08/21/12

As Gina said, gallbladder issues are common enough in the general population, which would probably include you, being this far out from surgery.

As Gina also said, gallbladder trouble is very common right after WLS. It has nothing to with the surgery, but the large and rapid weight loss. Anyone with that same weight loss but not having WLS is also at risk for gallbladder problems. But im guessing your large and rapid weight loss was a long time ago?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

White Dove
on 4/18/20 6:57 am, edited 4/17/20 11:58 pm - Warren, OH

My gallbladder was fine when I had surgery. Ten years later there was sludge and one stone and I had it removed. I was concerned about it. But it was done in the morning, I went home in the afternoon and did not need any pain meds. I was fine the next.

I did not eat fatty foods before or after the gallbladder surgery, so nothing changed for me.

I never had any pain or issues, but the surgeon said it was better to remove it before that happened.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Dee_Caprini
on 4/20/20 11:11 am

I do not think I have had any attacks either... I DID Have pancreatitis a long time ago and my Primary Care Doc couldn't tell me why... but I am now reading that some side effects of gallstones/gallbladder attack is pancreatitis so that is really interesting.

Most Active