Labs came back and.......

healthybound09
on 1/15/10 6:54 am - Neah bay, WA
my rheumatoid factor is elevated.  I will be going to see the rhumitoligist on Feb. 2nd and was wondering what sort of questions I should ask. And what I should expect to happen. 

A little history is that I have had hand and feet joint pain for about 1 1/2 to 2 years.  Also get pain in my ankles, knees, and hips, but nothing like my hands and feet.  I have had these labs run more than I can count and have always come back fine, so this time was a little bit of a shock for me.  I was really thinking no big deal, everything will come back fine.  Well suprise, suprise!

Also how does having WLS and RA affect your life?  I am scheduled for RNY on Feb. 23rd.  Is this something I might want to re-think?  Also my insurance only covers RNY and the band, and I  just don't have the money to pay for a different surgery myself. 

Thank you in advance,
Tori

happydsr
on 1/16/10 12:51 pm
kellyanne
on 1/21/10 7:31 am - Lumberton, NJ
Tori,

I have psoriatic arthritis which is in the RA family.  I have had RNY.  The big problem is that you can't take NSAIDS.  But thats not all that bad.  The thing is they have so many other kinds of therapy now.  The problem is that that medication reduced the function of your immune system. 

Keep the Rheumatologist in the loop.  I could not take any of my medications immediately before or after my RNY.  But then I went back on them.  My Arthritis was terrible in my feet, knees and hips, as well as my hands.  Losing the weight has made a huge difference in how my weight bearing joints feel.  I no longer use a wheelchair or a walker. 

You just have consider that you have more than one health interest going on  and you have too keep all of your doctors talking to each other as you proceed....

You'll do fine.  Good Luck,,

Kelly
(deactivated member)
on 2/4/10 1:29 am
Hi Tori-I have had severe rheumatoid arthritis since I was 12 yrs old in my knees-after I had RNY back in 2003 I was told I could take my arthritis meds as long as I took protonix to coat my pouch. Not all surgeons agree with this though-so be sure to ask yours about it. Also be sure to tell your rheumatologist about your upcoming surgery so they are aware of it. Best wishes to you!
healthybound09
on 2/4/10 12:41 pm - Neah bay, WA
Kathy,
Thanks for the info, I will be sure to talk to my surgeon about it.  The rhuematologist said that I have mild RA, and has prescribed me plaquinel.  But my surgeon said that he doesn't want me to take it until one month after surgery due to it causing stomach upset.
Tori

MsBatt
on 2/6/10 6:26 am
I know you say that your insurance doesn't cover the Sleeve or the DS, but given your health issues, I think you can FORCE them to cover them. If you want help to appeal, come over to the DS board---we have a lot of insurance gurus over there who just LOVE whuppin' up on some insurance-company butt!
healthybound09
on 2/6/10 7:24 am - Neah bay, WA
Thanks for the info, but both my rhuematologist and my surgeon have given me the green light for the RNY even though I was diagonosed with RA, its mild at this point.  But there are so manyu other meds I can take that won't affect my pouch.
Thanks again,
Tori

MsBatt
on 2/7/10 4:16 am
That's true---but there are also a lot of meds you'll have to give up with a pouch. (With the DS, you'd still have a fully-functional stomach.) But choose whatever you think is best for YOU---just be sure you know all your options.
dodgerfan
on 2/8/10 9:56 am - Norwalk, CA
I wish that I had run into someone that could have warned me before my surgery.  All I keep saying is if I would have known.  I have been diagnosed with multiple things wrong w/ me including arthritis and I can not take any Nsaids.  I was told that I have a double whammy, so I have to take other meds that would have worked in conjunction w/ the Nsaids, but now I can't and it isn't fun.  I wish I would have known.
MsBatt
on 2/8/10 12:15 pm
I am SO sorry! This is the reason that I do spend a lot of time talking about this---I know how I'd have felt if I'd gone through with the RNY I had scheduled, only to later find out I couldn't have NSAIDs and that there WAS a different surgery I could have had that would have been better for my problems.

I hope the OP sees your post!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 107 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2346 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3551 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4815 views