NSAIDS

Marabell
on 3/29/12 1:22 am
VSG on 06/07/12
I am on several medications for different things.....I am currently pre-op for VSG but am very concerned about being able to take my pills for 2 reasons:

1. swallowing them--they cannot be crushed or made into a liquid

2. reading that NSAIDS cannot be taken after surgery,  I have had several surgeries and only had to be off them for 10 days prior to surgery. but I am reading that cannot be on them ever after having the VSG...

can anyone enlighten me on this...what issues, if any, have you had with your meds?

jdruski
on 4/3/12 2:32 am - Philadelphia, PA
Marabell

Your gastro surgeon is your best person to ask.  I started back taking NSAIDS after 3 years.  I also went on Celebrex.  I think I might have done some damage but have had other issues that I was dealing with and will be seeing a gastro doc later this year.  I had open RNY. Check with your surgeon and make sure that he answers you and that you are understanding and will be OK. 

As far as swallowing a whole pill I was able to do that about a week post op. 

Good luck with your surgery.

Jeanne
Sandra C.
on 4/11/12 12:19 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 I decided on the Duodenal Switch surgery to be able to take NSAIDS for my hip and knee arthritis pain so I can exercise. My stomach has all the digestive qualities as pre surgery, with an intact  pilorus and normal digestion. Even with all this, my surgeon is worried about developing stomach  ulsers using NSAIDS  long term. He suggests using Celebrex, but my insurance- BCBS of Mi wont cover it. The cost is high, out of pocket. I take it once a day as directed, with good results. I was able to swallow pills the second day in the hospital, post surgery, never had to crush any. Taking pills  was a prerequisit to being released with pill pain meds for home recovery. I have been so happy to be able to enjoy life with the Duodenal Switch way of eating, and digestion. I have lost 116 lbs in 7 months, 20 lbs away from my goal. Celebrex has enabled me to work out at the gym, weight lifting, and treadmill for cardio. My body is toned, and I feel happy and  energised.  ;-)

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

jarabacoagirl
on 6/6/12 5:26 am
VSG on 12/17/12
You mentioned the cost of Celebrex being high.  I was just checking this out.  You can order it from Canada online.  There is a generic Celebrex in Canada even though there is not in the U.S.  www.universaldrugstore.com  For example you can get 100 100mg Capsules for $39.   Or if you know you'll use it more.  You can get 300 for $95.  Much cheaper than the States.  I hope that helps.  I literally just found this for myself right before I was reading your post.  As I'm contimplating if it's safe to take Celebrex or not.

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

108.2 lbs lost from highest weight!

(86.2 lbs of that was lost since surgery date)

happydsr
on 6/29/12 12:39 pm
On June 6, 2012 at 12:26 PM Pacific Time, jarabacoagirl wrote:
You mentioned the cost of Celebrex being high.  I was just checking this out.  You can order it from Canada online.  There is a generic Celebrex in Canada even though there is not in the U.S.  www.universaldrugstore.com  For example you can get 100 100mg Capsules for $39.   Or if you know you'll use it more.  You can get 300 for $95.  Much cheaper than the States.  I hope that helps.  I literally just found this for myself right before I was reading your post.  As I'm contimplating if it's safe to take Celebrex or not.
 just to clarify - Celebrex remains patent protected in Canada until 2014.  There is no generic equiivalent yet available

NSAIDS have risks in the best of cir****tances.

With VSG or DS, the fully funtioning stomach allows their use with no greater risk than a "normal" stomach.  

NSAIDS should not be taken by those with RNY
jarabacoagirl
on 6/29/12 12:45 pm, edited 6/29/12 12:45 pm
VSG on 12/17/12
I'm not sure what you are talking about.  Well I have the generic in my hands.  I received it this week from Canada. 
I agree about Nsaids however I have orthopedic problems that are cornic I need them for that.
I'm planning to have the VSG not RNY.  Thanks for the info.

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

happydsr
on 7/8/12 12:20 pm
On June 29, 2012 at 7:45 PM Pacific Time, jarabacoagirl wrote:
I'm not sure what you are talking about.  Well I have the generic in my hands.  I received it this week from Canada. 
I agree about Nsaids however I have orthopedic problems that are cornic I need them for that.
I'm planning to have the VSG not RNY.  Thanks for the info.
I checked out the source you purchased the drugs from, referred to in your earlier post.  They only have paptent protected Celebrex available to me - no generic substitute is available when the site is accessed from an IP address in Canada.  Perhaps because you are buying from the US, you are by-passing Canadian patent law.  The website states....

"Your prescription will only be filled in a reputable licensed facility which may be located in India, UK, Canada, Turkey, or elsewhere, depending on availability at the time you place your order.  Your Prescription Drugs will be sent from our contracted Canadian Pharmacy and/or international pharmacy directly to your front door."

I suspect the drug you are purchasing is an internationally produced  generic in contravention of Canadian patent law so goes directly to you from that other location.  I personally would have some concern about this, and would want to know more about where and under what conditions the drug is manufactured.

I get a little miffed when some of these companies play on Canada's quality reputation for health care, then pull a "bait and switch"  
jarabacoagirl
on 7/9/12 1:07 am, edited 7/9/12 1:09 am
VSG on 12/17/12
This is weird. Are you in Canada or Canadian?
I actually haven't taken the medicine. When it arrived it was like 100 degrees outside and it concerned me the the medicine had been in high temperatures. LIke why didn't they send it with a label on it saying avoid putting in extreme heat. I called and complained and they refunded me. They asked it I wanted a reship and I only if they can assure me that it's handled with care. So I thought I'd try another Canadian company instead. By the way every Canadian company I google I can see the generic. It's weird. I did a web check on this company and the Better Business Burue says they are 100% legit. But I'm concerned between what you told me and the fact the medicine was left in the extreme heat with out mailing it special so that it would be handled with better care. But what doesn't make sense is that there's so many other Canadian companies that are selling the med in generic when I google it but the price varies a bit not a lot. This one was the cheapest.

jarabacoagirl
on 7/9/12 1:09 am
VSG on 12/17/12
Meanwhile still taking Alleve.  Glad I haven't had surgery yet.

jarabacoagirl
on 7/9/12 1:15 am
VSG on 12/17/12
BTW, the manufactuar is called Cipla.   So the box says.  I still have it here.  I asked a local pharmacist if it's safe to take and she said it might  not if it's been in heat above 86 degrees so not taking it. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 101 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2338 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3543 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4807 views