Hyperpigmentation and keloids

JazzyOne9254
on 10/21/12 3:16 am

I'm preppng for the first of many plastic surgeries to get rid of all the loose skin I have.

African-Americans are more prone to hyperpigmentation(wounds leave a dark scar) and keloids, and I unfortunately deal with both.

Does anyone on this board have any advice on how to prevent/reduce  dark scars or keloids that form with incisions ? 

I have a big dark line on my abdomen from my DS.  I had to get steroid shots in it to get the keloids to flatten out, and fade creams are doing nothing to reduce the dark color of the scar.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Sis'ta "T" Bone
on 10/30/12 1:49 am - Miami, FL

My mother and aunt (identical twins) both suffers from keloids, have told me that there is an injection that can be given prior to surgery to prevent (or at least minimize) it from occurring. Let your surgeon know that you are prone to this disorder and if this injection is available. Good luck on your surgery - and the new youenlightened

Sis'ta Thick-Bone from Sunny So. FL
Believing that God's intentions are for us to prosper. (I Corr. 2:9)

JazzyOne9254
on 10/30/12 7:56 am

Yes, I know about the injection, it's cortisone.  They also use it to flatten out keloids once they form. I had it once for an eara piercing gone wrong when I was a teenager,(that's how I discovered I was prone to keloids) and  I had to have them "shoot up" my scar from my DS ( it was open, not lap) to get it to flatten out, but it's still dark.  I'm going to see if my dermatologist can give me something a little more powerful than Ambi to lighten it. The saving grace of the surgery is that the incisions will be on the inside of my thighs, so they'll be hidden for the most part.  Thanks for your well wishes and advice! smiley

MSW will not settle
on 10/31/12 2:20 am

Congrats on the plastics.  I'm still afraid to take the plunge but Lord knows I need to. 

Snail serum products have shown promise in repairing damaged skin including keloids.  I do not keloid, but others who do have told me it worked well for them.   However, there are a lot of fake products and/ or products with little of the active ingredients out there so research your source. 

I scar easily and have ugly melasma due to medical conditions and medications.  I was turned on to a cream from Chile which contains slime from the helix aspersa snail.  It works very well for me in evening out my skin tone and removing blemishes.  It even shrinks my enlarged pores and clears black heads and white heads.  My biore cleansing strips come off completely clean now.    Similar creams are made in Portugal, bu****ch out for fakes from Korea & Mexico. 

I am awful with consistent skin care but this is my 49 year old face with no make up except eye liner and a lip pencil. 

The melasma is no longer visible after about two weeks of use.  I use Elicina from Chile available on amazon or elicinausa for about $25It contains no moisturizer unless you purchase the Elicina Plus about $27.  There is also a version for the eye area at about $35.  A little goes a long way so a jar lasts about 6 weeks of twice daily use on slightly damp skin. 

Pure snail serum is also available.  Check out bohemia-style.com.  I ordered this recently for an old neglected scar.  I'll let you know how it urns out.  Pure serum can run you from $50-$200 depending on where you find it. 

Links for research:

Elicina company site, Portugal & Chile includes page of known couterfeit producers - http://www.elicina.com/ing-index.php

Elicina authorized US distributor (I've purchased here)  - http://www.elicinausa.com/index.html

On Amazon (I've purchased here)  - http://www.amazon.com/Elicina-Caracol-Eliminates-Softens-Wrinkles/dp/B001C4Q3UY

Bohemia Style, related products - http://www.bohemia-style.com/Snail-Serum-and-Snail-Extract-Cosmetics-Baba-de-Caracol-orderby0-p-1-c-55.html (I have pure serum on order.  I'll let you know the results.  )

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

JazzyOne9254
on 11/4/12 7:01 am

Thanks so much for the info!  I will check out that snail serum.  I have some hyperpigmentation on my face from sun damage, from forgetting my sunscreen, so I hope it will work well on that.

You have beautiful skin!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 183 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1129 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2015 views