To Perm or Not to Perm?

MayPenGirl
on 5/30/13 2:17 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 04/03/13

I haven't permed my hair since I had my surgery 8 weeks ago because I'm scared of having it fall out.  I had my check up with my doctor today and he told me that it was okay to perm my hair as long as I was getting all of my protein in everyday.  I'm diligent about my protein and my hair is healthy but I'm not sure if I should perm it yet or if I should wait.  If I do wait, how long should I wait?  Any feedback would be great!

Surgery date - 04/03/13; Goal date - 11/10/13 (I reached goal in 31 weeks & 4 days)

Highest weight 261  SW 258  GW 150   M1 -26  M2 -14  M3 -10  M4 -12  M5 -13  M6 -12  M7 -11  M8 -10  In maintenance since November 2013  HT- 5'6"  

dstgirl2000
on 5/30/13 4:18 am

Hi MayPenGirl...............Great and often asked question.  I'm an RNYer nearly four years post op.  We all have different experiences with hair loss, and our procedures may dictate that as well.  For me, I didn't really note any major hair changes until about five months out.  My hair loss has been drastic to the point of total crown baldness at one time.  I've had great success with my weight loss program, and would do it again.  I met my goal just shy of 9 months, and have pretty much maintained ever since, give or take 5-10 pounds for my wiggle room.  To this day I'm diligent with my vits, protein, portion size and moderate exercise.  I followed the regiment and added in a healthy dose of Biotin as well.  None of this made a difference when it came to keeping hair on my head though.  It's was disheartening to say the least.  Just this year, has my hair begun to show growth again.  It's been a slow process.  Fortunately, I've learned to embrace the joy of the weave world to compensate...enlightened

So, I'd think twice about any additional stressor to your tresses.  Perhaps give it a little more time for your body to adjust to this new nutritional routine your body is going through.....Just a few notes from my experiences!  Hope it helps!

Keep it moving!

JJ

MayPenGirl
on 5/30/13 4:23 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 04/03/13

This does help a lot.  Thanks for your response!! :-)  I will definitely wait.

Surgery date - 04/03/13; Goal date - 11/10/13 (I reached goal in 31 weeks & 4 days)

Highest weight 261  SW 258  GW 150   M1 -26  M2 -14  M3 -10  M4 -12  M5 -13  M6 -12  M7 -11  M8 -10  In maintenance since November 2013  HT- 5'6"  

LEE
on 5/30/13 1:56 pm

I would be afraid to perm my hair so soon after surgery, but I have never been permed but I suspect it does put stress on hair and wouldn't take the chance.

Salty Pickle a.k.a.  Lee
MSW will not settle
on 6/8/13 7:58 am

Fall out is nutritional as the body adjusts itself.  Biotin and increasing my protein intake to 100g helped with my thinning hair.  I wish that I started these practices from day one.  Perms carry the same risk as always but for the record I'm a natural girl.  Be sure to use a mildest products that will do the job and avoid over processing.  Deep condition before processing too.  You should be ok.   Good luck and happy hair! 

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

JazzyOne9254
on 6/23/13 4:10 am

My hair changed after my DS.  It didn't fall out, but somehow structurally changed.

Here's how I accidentally found out.

I have been wearing my hair in its natural kinky-curly state for 4 years now. only using permanent hair color, and using a blow dryer to straighten it if i wanted to.

A couple weekends ago, I decided I wanted a teeny bit looser curl, so I bought a mild Roots Of Nature relaxer kit, and left the relaxer on for only three minutes.

Washed it out...all curl GONE! 

Perhaps the straightening action was speeded up by the color, but I have done this before and gotten exactly the result I wanted!

It's summer, it's hot, and I'm going TWA (teeny weeny Afro) next month, maybe sooner! 

Four years and mid-back hair...on the floor!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

adotadd
on 9/4/13 12:34 pm - Lawrenceville, GA
Hi im new to the site... I haven't had my surgery yet but I am a licensed cosmetologist. I would strongly advise against getting a relaxer until your hormones and everything stable out. I really believe that you would experience bad side effects from it mainly hair breakage. I would focus on protein and moisture treatments until you know exactly how your hair is going to react to the surgery.
JustCK
on 9/27/13 11:14 am

I'd definitely like more hair advice! I know that Biotin will help with hair/nail growth/maintenance, but is there anything else we can prepare with, like deep conditioning?

adotadd
on 9/27/13 12:00 pm - Lawrenceville, GA
I have been doing a lot of reading about hair loss after weight loss surgery and from what i can find its not much that can be done. You just have to make sure you are hitting your protein goal each day, taking supplements, and trying not to mess with your hair to.much or putting it in stressing styles. I would deep condition each week and do a protein treatment once every 6 weeks. my surgery is Oct 1st so im getting prepared. Im going to get some half wigs .
NaturallySophisticated
on 10/19/13 3:39 am, edited 10/19/13 3:39 am - OR

I definitely agree with  adotadd. I too am new but am also a licensed stylist. The less stress you put on your hair the better. The hair loss is usually caused by lack of vitamins and minerals being absorbed. Even with taking extra precautions, it can still lead to major hair loss. I have a full thick head of non chemically treated hair and this too scares me.  But I would rather be bald than to be unhealthy. Plus, there are so many options with hair these days, I think that I will not only be addicted to fashion after my surgery, but to wigs as well! lol

Good luck

Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 183 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1129 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2018 views