VSG BMI 66!!!!!!????

Curious1989
on 3/23/11 8:51 am - Garden City, NY
hello everyone i have a bmi of 66 and my doctor has told me it would be better to do a vsg rather than gastric bypass. i trust what  he says and it will be a safer surgery i want to know your opinions and with a higher bmi how has this worked for you with the weight loss? thank you all
JasonC
on 3/23/11 10:40 am - Coldwater, OH
I would recommend you do a lot of research.  For me the VSG was a the best choice.  I was scared to have surgery because of my BMI which was about 65 at surgery time.  Surgery was without incident, I was off pain meds by the next day and back to work in 6 days ( I only worked 6 hours a day at first because of low energy level).  I found the VSG to be very effect for me and I am very happy with it. 

GOOD LUCK with your choice.

J J the Jet Plane
on 3/24/11 9:51 pm, edited 3/24/11 10:00 pm
I think you also need to know a lot about yourself and how you eat. What can you live without and live with for the rest of your life. No surgery is a fix all, so I think besides looking at what the doctor's say, you need to be honest with yourself and figure that out.

For me: I knew the only way I will be happy is to pick a surgery that I couldn't live without.
I wouldn't do the band, RNY wasn't for me, I was set on having the VSG.

I have been to several doctors and all the ones who didn't do the DS said I should get the VSG, all the ones who did the DS, suggested I read more into the DS because they thought it was what was best for me.

Then I looked into my insurance policy- "One WLS per lifetime" Did I want to have WLS more than once in my life?? NO! Did I want to have one surgery and then a few years later have the full DS, and then have to pay out of pocket for the second NO!

Please visit several doctors who do all types of surgeries before making a decision on one surgery or another. Get a second or third opinion. It really helped me, for whatever surgery you choose.

But I think it really goes back to what you can live with? Will you eat what you are supposed to? Will you take necessary vitamins for the rest of your life? Will you comply with the effects of your surgery? Can you afford financially the aftercare? (one lady in my support group pays thru the nose for band refills)

Hope that helps!
JJ

www.dsfacts.com

Janine P.
on 3/24/11 10:48 pm - Long Island, NY
Look into the DS.  In my opinion, your BMI is too high for pure restrictive surgery.  You need more help than just that.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

heathermarie10311
on 3/27/11 10:38 am - independence, MO
i started out at 370lbs and decided on vsg. its been wonderful and i would reccomend it to anyone who has a higher BMI. they risk is way lower than gb and you get your nutrients easier. as long as you follow your diet plan it will work for you and you will look healthy as you lose the weight.
InkdSpEdTchr
on 3/29/11 5:25 am
Research, research, research! Do it all before hand so that you choose the best possible surgery for you. Make sure you understand about each of the procedures, pros and cons of DS, RNY and VSG, so that you can maximize your weight loss.

However, you can lose weight will all of them....so good luck on whatever you choose!

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Molly S.
on 4/2/11 9:56 am - Chicago, IL
I love your new picture girl!   You look wonderful!

HW 611  Pre-opW 580   LW 302  GW 238         

extremesanity
on 3/29/11 6:50 am - DETROIT, MI
My BMI was 71 at the time of surgery. My Dr initially suggested GB but I would not agree. I have iron definciency and IBS so, GB would have made things worse for me. Sleeve has been so far so good. Surgery was a breeze and thank God there were no complications.
HW 462..........SW 427..........CW 402..........GW 170

jessdly
on 5/16/18 12:26 pm

Did you have your surgery in the states?

Beam me up Scottie
on 4/2/11 7:33 am
RUN!!!! DO NOT WALK!!!! and get a second opinion from Dr. Roslin in NYC. I know it's a train ride for you, but he has a LOT of experience with people with high BMIs....and has an extremely low complications rate. He operates out of Lenox Hill.

Scott

PS with a BMI as high as yours, having a restriction only surgery is probably not the best solution, unless you have some really bad co-morbidities.
Most Active