WLS is easy

Karine
on 3/1/13 2:46 am - Canada
VSG on 06/25/12
Ok this morning I got upset at my mom. I proudly told her, on the phone, how much I had lost now that I am 8 months out. She was happy, telling me that it was great, than telling my dad, and then she added (talking to my dad):"it's so easy with the surgery I think I will do it"

I felt like hitting her. But lucky her she was on the phone. So I took a deep breath and said:"you really think those last 8 months were easy? I might lose weight easily and not feel hungry, but you're forgetting about everything else"

So herr is my list of hardship:

- head hunger is still there, unlike before I cannot eat it out, cannot binge, but the desire to is still there. I just cannot get this confort anymore. I have to face the problrm underlying there instead of burrying it under a good coat of food. Easier NOT. Better probably!

- looking better? Yeah I do don't I? But if you saw me naked you would cry. So do I look better? No, not really, but during the day I can pretend I do. But when people comment on how good I look, I am extatic but the little voice in the back of my mind murmurs "only dressed up don't fool yourself"

- I have a deficiency in zinc

- my vitamin A and my iron are being monitered closely because they are low without being deficient yet

- i keep having diahrrea and some suffer from constipation

- my blood pressure is so low that I near faint at least twice a day. I scare myself. I fear fainting when driving or/and when I am with my kids

- I am constantly freezing

- my period has became so intense I sometimes wish I was a men

- one minute I am happy, the other I cry. I now cry during action movies, I have never even cried during a sad movie before but now even the scary movies make me cry. Hormones!!!!!

- I fear failing and being a statistic. I fear people laughing and pointing at me if I do fail.

- I fear the moment my appetite will come back. Will I be able to keep the good work?

This process is NOT easy. Please stop saying this people!

Gastroscopy: May 26th 2012                   SW + HW 360
Labs: May 30th 2012                                Post opti   341.2
SD:  June 25th 2012                                Post op     338.6       

Oxford Comma Hag
on 3/1/13 4:08 am

(((hugs))) Some people just don't think before they speak, do they?

Maybe this will make you chuckle: My mom, who has no clue about what type of surgery I have even though I explained it, asked me two silly questions. One: "So when you get to your goal weight are you gonna have that little thing taken out?" Uh, no mom, I don't have a band; I have a bypass.  Two: "Will you stop losing weight on your own or will you just keep shrinking?" No, mom, I'm going to dry up like a stick and go lay in the yard. And for a bonus dumb question: My stepdad asked when he ran into me at the grocery store, "Do you eat?!"  No, stepdad, I just go to the grocery store to visit food. For heavens sake, of course I eat. I am a size 14--hardly starving to death here.

Take care, hon. I promise it gets better.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Karine
on 3/1/13 10:43 am - Canada
VSG on 06/25/12
HHhahHhHaaaaaa you so made me laugh! All your exemples were amazingly funny but the trophee goes to :"no I just visit the food"

Hihihihihi

Laura in Texas
on 3/1/13 7:49 am

Take a deep breath and try to relax. Your hormones are going crazy from the rapid weight loss.

Easy? No. Easier? Yes. Definitely. I don't think any of us would have had weight loss if it were not going to help us lose weight. It makes it easier. It just does. No way in hell I could have lost 200 pounds and kept it off without surgery.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Karine
on 3/1/13 10:47 am - Canada
VSG on 06/25/12
You know I would never go back, I have no regrets regarding my surgery even when I say it's hard.

My point is that yes I lose weight easily and no I wasn't able to do it on my own.

But, because there's a but, it is not an easy process. Because it comes with other issues than being hungry. So it is not because I don't feel hunger that it is easier. It is just easier to lose weight.

This is what I would like people to understand. We do it to lose weight but afterwards you realize that there is way more than losing weight.

Sassyflamingo
on 3/1/13 8:19 am
RNY on 06/14/12

I could have written that myself. I totally get it. I wish I didn't get it. People who make flippant statements like that don't understand. 

But I also wish I hadn't become obese in childhood, yo yo dieted (and drank:) my twenties away, or cancelled that trip to Europe. 

I find solace in today and the good choices that I am making NOW. 

You are doing and awesome job! Be proud! Be strong! (And ignore idiots...) 

Karine
on 3/1/13 10:50 am - Canada
VSG on 06/25/12
It is still time to do the trip to Europe!

And I feel the same way about my twenties! I drank it away and then got overweight

Thanks!

Phatchick
on 3/1/13 10:22 pm - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12

Karine,

We are the luckiest people in the world to be able to come here everyday and speak to these people who are here with us everyday. The BM over 50 Forum is the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fact that we all have each other is the reason I can do this everyday.

Thanks for an amazing post. You spoke what we all whisper in our heads to ourselves.

Love you all!

Sharon

Doris Cervenka
on 3/3/13 3:08 pm, edited 3/3/13 3:18 pm - Ganado, TX

I had my Nephew,s wife.  Who is  a Dietian .    She is a 110 pound ex- Cheer leader and Gymnast.   She said,I should have never of had the surgery.  All She had to do was put me on a diet plan  and I would lose weight without the surgery.   She will never understand that have been on a diet plan since was ten years old.  If had waited any longer.   That I would be dead now.   I 38 years old and was close to 400  pounds and was miserable.  I had been over weight my entire life.   When You have a twenty year old person .  Who never been fat a day in their life talk down to you.   All she said was things I heard from a hundred other  doctors.  I had  heard them and did the diets and regained and just got bigger  I heard it all a hundred times before. From smarter people than her.  You just want to slap her.  People act like you don,t even have wish to be thin and that You never made the effort to lose the weight. I have lost more weight in my life than she could  even image.  Just have come back and to regain more more,  I actually became fearful of dieting because, It made me gain more weight.  She acts like I  wish to be made fun of and treated like dirt.  I just wish. I could explain to people that this surgery saved my life.  Because ,I  was dead person walking.

Doris Cervenka

Karine
on 3/4/13 2:29 am - Canada
VSG on 06/25/12
Dietician think they are miracle worker!

They don't realize that us, morbidly obese people, have pretty much the same knowledge they have if not more with regards to food. And anyway, it is not a dietician we need but a nut!

Most Active