Scaird that I am doing it wrong...

Crazzzgal
on 3/23/15 6:19 am

Let me start off by saying that I did 12 weeks of classes before I had surgery.  They were really good about covering what to eat before surgery, but after they gave us some info, but I feel like I it is contradictory to a lot of what I have read.   They said we need to between 60 and 80 grams of protein each day, a minimum of 64 oz of water, and we should use Low fat cheese, margerine, milk, etc.  They have said bread, pasta and rice is fine as long as it is whole grain.  They also say I should be between 400 and 600 calories a day.  I feel like what they have told us contradicts itself and that we really shouldn't be eating that many carbs or things that are majorly processed like Low fat cheese and margarine.  I am almost 9 weeks out, and have lost only 8 lbs since 2 weeks after surgery... How should I be eating, what did your doctor's recommend, and how have you lost your weight. 

karasmom
on 3/23/15 8:02 am

I sleeved on 1/12/15.  My highest weight was 405.  In late Sept 2014 I started losing weight on my own.  My surgery weight was 339 and at my follow up last Friday (Mar 20) I weighed in at 297.  My clinic told me pretty much the same as yours except they said not to count calories.  I have struggled with eating since surgery and rarely have been able to get all of my protein in and seem to max out at 48oz of fluids.  At my appointment they told me that if I didn't start eating more soon my hair would continue to fall out and my nails could fall out too .  I was told that low fat dairy was okay.

it is so frustrating to read so many conflicting theories.  My advice to you is to follow what your surgeon has told you.  Chin up my friend!!  It has to start coming off eventually.

Crazzzgal
on 3/23/15 9:15 am

Awesome job.  I am just feeling like I must be doing something wrong because i haven't moved much at all since 2 weeks out... Thank you for your help.  I appreciate it.

ABair
on 3/24/15 3:25 am
VSG on 01/14/15

I sleeved on 1/14/15 at a weight of 339.  My last doctors visit was on March 12 and I was 296.  My doctors tell me that I really need to 64 ounces of fluid the last two days were the first time I made the 64 ounces.  I still drink a protein shake in the morning as breakfast since I'm not a big breakfast fan.  My doctor didn't mention calories, but NEVER more than 4 ounces at a time. Lunch I usually eat 1oz of low fat cream cheese, or ricotta cheese, 5 Ritz crackers, and a Yoplait kids squeeze yogurt.  Dinner varies but I always make sure I eat at least 2 ounces of protein.  Low fat cottage cheese, Low fat cheese sticks are another favorite for lunch.  I do a lot of low fat dairy items, since they are easy to pack for lunch and I really like those foods.  The fluids will help flush out just keep sipping, you will find that as time goes on you'll be able to sip more at a time.  My doctor told me that the swelling inside does not go away and your not completely healed fro 6-8 weeks 

Hang in there you could still have swelling, and it will come on just stick with it!

Lisa 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/24/15 6:35 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Maybe you have to do some more research as far as your eating plan cuz it does seem strange that they'd advise you to eat bread/pasta or use margarine. Every plan is different & you're very early out.

I'm a newbie myself but bread & high carb foods was basically a no no during weight loss. They also didn't shun high fat cheese or have me count calories. 400-600 seems low to me.

Don't stress the scale so much, you sometimes lose inches, not everything will be reflected in the scale & it can drive you crazy! Remember your body is still healing & it might take awhile for it to get its groove back.

My plan has me getting a minimum of 80g of protein,preferably from dense protein, then carbs from veggies first, then fruit, along with my vits & water requirements. I don't count calories, carbs, but I do track them & use it more as a guideline. So I try to get to my protein goals while keeping my calories low, usually between 700 & 1000, carbs under 60, water, I aim for 80 or more. I adjust the numbers as I work my way down.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/24/15 10:24 am, edited 3/24/15 10:25 am
RNY on 12/31/13

My plan is the metabolic eating plan from the Cleveland Clinic.  I had an RNY.

For the weight loss stage, I am to eat at least 80 grams of protein a day (preferably dense proteins with no more than 1 protein shake a day after the first 6 weeks), less than 40 grams of carbs, more than 64 oz of water or non-caloric fluids including coffee and tea, with no recommended limitation on natural fats.  I was to stay under 600 calories for the first 3 months, under 800 to 9 months and then less than 1000 until goal. I am to avoid all breads, rices, potatoes, deep fried foods, sweets, and most fruits.  Real butter, coconut oil, olive oil and whole fat dairy is fine. 

I have lost 186 pounds in 14 months. I do credit staying completely to their plan with my success. 

I hope this helps. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Laura in Texas
on 3/24/15 11:17 pm, edited 3/24/15 11:17 pm

I would avoid bread, pasta, and rice at this point if I were you. We heavy weights need to maximize the honeymoon period. We are "different" than the average WLS patient. It is harder for us and we have to be more diligent.

Perhaps when you get to goal you could add them back in. Carbs should come from non-starchy vegetables at this point. For most of us, when you eat crappy carbs (like bread, pasta, etc.), it makes us crave more crappy carbs. It's a vicious cycle. 

ETA, I had surgery 6.5 years ago and have lost and more importantly kept off 200 pounds. I still avoid crappy carbs 90% of the time.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

selhard
on 3/26/15 4:01 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Your plan sounds comparable to mine.  True, whole grain bread, but limited to 2 slices per week.  Therefore, I cut two slices in half, walla, two becomes four.  I store them in a separate Ziploc bag in the refrigerator at the beginning of the week to stay mindful of only two slices.  I choose to forego pasta completely, but eat wild rice sometimes.  I choose full-fat butter, milk, cheese, and cottage cheese because it satisfies better and tastes better. The major meal rule is:  PROTEIN FIRST, VEGETABLE SECOND.  When eating, ask yourself three questions, Is it a protein?  Is it a vegetable?  Is it a once-in-while fruit?  If the answer is no, rethink your choice.  How I lost weight?  The surgery did most of it for me that first year while I followed the plan.  POWER= P rotein  O ptimism  W ater  E xercise  R esist grazing.

Crazzzgal
on 3/27/15 12:34 am

Thanks.  I appreciate your insight.

NYMom222
on 4/3/15 4:10 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Even if you are eating some carbs it still needs to be Protein forward. My Surgeon's mantra is "Protein first and then veggies, and then if you have enough room fruit and starches. So he doesn't no starches but it is at the end of the list. I only eat real fats, a small amount of olive oil or butter occasionally.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active